rrbert
Finding Modules
  • 2004/5/17 16:31

• rrbert

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/5 5

Hi,
I'm looking for the French language pack for xoops-2.0.6
There is some fairly good documentation for the multilanguage pack XOOPS_ML_v1_3.zip on how to configure it for various languages, the example language being French. The author says that of course, for this to work, you also need the French language pack. I guess if I could read French, I could find it on some French language XOOPS site, but I haven't found it yet.
Anyhow, this seems to be a growing problem (finding the relevant module). There is already some structure on the downloads page (Themes, Modules, Languages, etc), but I think more is needed. For instance, we could have a category Superceded ( or Old). Most people are interested in the current stable release, so when an author releases a new version, they move the older version out. This may help reduce some clutter.
Perhaps somebody could write some guidelines on module naming conventions, and request that authors of modules please try to choose suitable names and follow some conventions for the filename. For example, an alphabetical listing of modules lists:
A simple flash counter
Advanced Contact Module
Agenda-X 2.1
Well, I think Agenda-X 2.1 is probably well named and belongs in the A's, but the other 2 may be better named Counter-Flash and
Contacts-Advanced or something.
My suggestion is:
Keyword-[optional extra word]-v[version number]
and also encourage similar consistency in filenames.
Thanks,
rrbert

limecity
Re: Finding Modules
  • 2004/5/17 17:41

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

Erm..
here you might have the language core of Xoops

https://xoops.org/general/download.php#xoops2

rrbert
Re: Finding Modules
  • 2004/5/17 19:09

• rrbert

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/5 5

Hi,
Thanks for pointing me where to look for the language modules, I kinda thought maybe I was overlooking something obvious. I'm still pretty new to XOOPS, that's my excuse (sheepish grin).
So in this case, it was my oversight in not looking in the obvious place, and once there I found the files well organized.
I still think the modules listing could be better organized. It's very good of the authors to release their modules etc for the rest of us to use, and imposing some naming conventions may not be a good idea, especially as in some cases the category or main keywords may not fit some narrow definition.
An alternative suggestion, maybe a list of alias names that point to the modules, then these alias names could be categorized, eg
calendar modules
menu modules
Unfortunately, I don't have the time or knowledge to do this, but we need to avoid the situation that happened to Red Hat users and RPM hell.
I think that given the ease of installation of XOOPS and modules along with boldly applying OO concepts by the core team and others, we will see XOOPS grow in popularity compared to say eXOOPS and Postnuke etc. so the number of modules will just grow and grow.
rrbert

Login

Who's Online

246 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 246

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits