phillipd
Filenames can't have spaces
  • 2004/5/6 21:42

• phillipd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/4/20

I've noticed the downloads module allows filenames with spaces to be uploaded but then you can't download them.

Just a FYI

Thanks for a great software project!

Doug P

WarDick
Re: Filenames can't have spaces
  • 2004/5/6 22:06

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Yes Linux does not tolerate spaces in file names.

Microsoft does not care.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/7 1:10

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

WarDick wrote:

Microsoft does not care.

This is a limitation of the upload class, I will be using a different upload class for this and it won't matter what you enter for the filename. The filename used to store the upload will be different from the actual filename of the file you will upload. Make sense LOL

WarDick
  • 2004/5/7 1:38

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Convenient feature!

DonXoop

Quote:

WarDick wrote:

Microsoft does not care.

Uhm, Linux does handle spaces. It is just bad practice and makes for some ugly URLs.

I have no problem with the uploader class dropping space filled file names. Let's keep it that way..

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/7 3:01

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

I have no problem with the uploader class dropping space filled file names. Let's keep it that way..

You missunderstood me I wont be using the uploader.php class for the my_downloads module in future but the one I use in wf-sections instead.

DonXoop

Quote:
You missunderstood me I wont be using the uploader.php class for the my_downloads module in future but the one I use in wf-sections instead.

oh, after reading the post more carefully I see what you mean. Some of the other modules do the same, upload and then generate its own name for later linking.

My point was that Linux itself can handle goofy naming conventions. It is just bad practice and can possibly lead to difficult file maintenance later on. But that is a different argument.

WarDick
  • 2004/5/7 3:26

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Hi DonXoop,

Quote:
My point was that Linux itself can handle goofy naming conventions. It is just bad practice and can possibly lead to difficult file maintenance later on. But that is a different argument

I am running Slackware 9.1 I would like to have files with spaces is there a way to configute it My slack don't like spaces.

DonXoop

I'd suggest don't

I don't think you have to configure anything special but I could be wrong about the Slack.

I never did anything special for it but I have users running Windows and they frequently use spaces (yuck) in the file names when they store to the server via Samba. No problem.

What happens when you try? If you're viewing a file list from something that shows exactly how it is stored vs something that masks reality from the user (Windows) it might appear strange.

Even on Windows the spaces and long names are stored differently than what you might see in a file manager. But it does work.

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits