talunceford
Horizontal Array of News Block

I am needing some input on how to perform a horizontal array of my news items within the smarty code. Any easy way to do this?

Basically, I want to array the last 3 news items horizontally instead of vertically. I want to trim the text down to where it only displays like the first 30 characters of the news post and allows you to click on a view more link. Ive got an idea on how to do it, but I wanted to see if anyone has a suggestion first.

Thanks for the help...

WarDick
Re: Horizontal Array of News Block
  • 2004/5/6 22:01

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Thinking outside the box just a little bit.

In my desire to come up with a dynamic horizontal menu to give a different look and feel to my theme I made this observation.

The left, center, right-center, left-center and right column information is delivered in arrays that can be dealt with and delivered under my control.

I used the left array to make the horizontal menu. The menu is delivered with all of the attributes of the user, group permission and modules installed.

Even better than the verticle menu we are used to. A user can navigate my site without ever being redirected due to a permission issue.

But now I don't have a left column.

No problem you stiil have 4 arrays left for page layout.

With the use of CSS and Block Templates the page becomes my slave. I am no longer stuck with the layouts we are used to seeing.

I believe with your skills you would have no problem accomplishing what you are after.

talunceford

Thanks man for the vote of reassurance! Now when you are talking about the horizontal menu, its js right? What im looking to try and accomplish is the look of EAGAMES.com with the "breaking news" up at the top and so on. I've got most of the rest figured out, but the news thing is throwing me for a loop. Check out my site, selct the montisgrey theme from the theme selector, and I will show you what I have so far. Im combining themes to get the look that I want. I've got it so that based on where you are in the site, the flash image will change.

Let me know what you think

WarDick
  • 2004/5/6 23:47

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

No Java just XOOPS. Plus its XHTML 1.0 transitional compliant and CSS compliant.

Awesome looks like you have figured how to do the news like yahoo dsl.

WarDick
  • 2004/5/7 9:08

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

talunceford wrote:
I am needing some input on how to perform a horizontal array of my news items within the smarty code. Any easy way to do this?

Basically, I want to array the last 3 news items horizontally instead of vertically. I want to trim the text down to where it only displays like the first 30 characters of the news post and allows you to click on a view more link. Ive got an idea on how to do it, but I wanted to see if anyone has a suggestion first.

Thanks for the help...

The trimmed text could be implemented in the manner of Soapbox or WFSections with the article teaser.

If you were to use WFSections instead of news most of the functionality is already built in.

The horizontal part should be easy - think horizontal instead of vertical. Divs instead of tables.

Now if you could just get that with a small flash image and a link you would have a yahoo like news teaser at the top of you page. That would put you one up one the site you cited as an example. One draw back - slow load times even with DSL your flash page takes a while to load. But with small low resolution pictures you would have a winner. The rest of you theme puts you one up on the example anyway.

I believe that Mithrandir is about to release a news update, it may have the article teasers built in.

You've got a winner. Awesome work!

Mithrandir

Smarty has a little function "truncate" to ... erhm... truncate a string. Used like this: <{$string_name|truncate:30}>

We have not worked much on the blocks in News 1.2 - mainly we want to have the Spotlight block in it, but we are waiting for Catzwolf to be finished with 2.0 before we rip the code regarding News.

WarDick
  • 2004/5/7 10:15

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Smarty has a little function "truncate" to ... erhm... truncate a string. Used like this: <{$string_name|truncate:30}>

We have not worked much on the blocks in News 1.2 - mainly we want to have the Spotlight block in it, but we are waiting for Catzwolf to be finished with 2.0 before we rip the code regarding News.

Thanks Mithrandir;

Thats the complete answer truncate
Set number of articles to display a three
You are good to go.

talunceford

Guys, Awesome work!!! Thanks for the help!!! I am going to give this a shot some time today when I get a free moment or two. I have read a few different threads regarding changing images based on section id or things of that sort. I am pretty sure that I can incorp that into my site in some manner.

Login

Who's Online

127 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 127

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits