*So what sort of things can you do in xoops?*
  • 2004/4/20 16:32

• Anonymous

• Since:

Is XOOPS a programming language?
I know that its easy to use as i have been told and
i have seem some basic sites but what is the real
difference from HTML, im not really sure what to do!,
can i make a site offline with like dreamweaver or something, and then ADD the XOOPS modules?, because i feel a little retricted without a drag and drop feature in xoops,
doesn't XOOPS seem a little amatuer? or have i got it the other way around?

Booth
Re: *So what sort of things can you do in xoops?*
  • 2004/4/20 17:45

• Booth

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/13

Well you got it half right. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing XOOPS is anything but amateur. In the hands of someone who is good with code AND knows what they are doing you can make things look very nice indeed.

However an amateur could very well set up a site in 10 minutes using XOOPS with little knowledge - it's so easy, but it would look like a standard-issue XOOPS site.

I've learned so much about SQL and PHP using Xoops.

Xoops itself is by no means amateur

Mithrandir
Re: *So what sort of things can you do in xoops?*

XOOPS is a program more than a programming language. It is written in PHP (~programming language) and is presented in HTML (like almost everything on the Internet)

I have absolutely no idea, what you want to drag and drop where.

The difference is not in the displaying of sites, but in the managing of sites. Instead of having to make each and every page by hand in HTML, you can make a generic page layout and let the items being displayed depend on information in a database.

XOOPS gives a way to add specific pages (modules) to do specific things (like a message board, display news, show a calendar etc.)

If what you mean is the theming (the "skin" of the site with colours and generic graphics) then you should look at the various themes available. It is one page (theme.html) deciding the placement of blocks, header image and similar and which loads a style sheet (style.css) to decide background colours etc.
Apart from some Smarty code (a mix between programmable logic and plain HTML) the theme.html file is a plain HTML file, which you can load into dreamweaver and work with there.

Login

Who's Online

129 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 129

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits