ricland
I'm Flying Blind here, Boys ...
  • 2004/4/19 20:00

• ricland

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/15

This is beautiful.

Everything I try to do, I have to go to the archive and search for the answer, then when I get to the archive I only get half an answer so search again and piece it together with another answer to get the whole answer.

I'm flying blind here, boys. I'm progressing, but not in an organized fashion and as slow as a turtle. And what really gets me pissed is that if there was a simple tutorial, I'd have the site finished and would be addint content by now.

In other words, I'm wasting all kinds of time, boys. I'm not a geek; I don't enjoy tweaking with applications for hours. I don't enjoy figuring all this crap out. I don't enjoy spending hours searching your archive for answers. I don't enjoy spending all morning trying to figure how to get an article on the front page. I don't enjoy trying to figure out how to use "sections." I don't enjoy any of this crap. I don't enjoy taking time away from my family because you developers don't ship this thing with operating instructions.

If you had a simple tutorial that took a new user from a successful installation to a fully operating XOOPS site, you'd be saving people weeks of needless time-wasting.

Why can't you grasp this?

carnuke
Re: I'm Flying Blind here, Boys ...
  • 2004/4/19 20:13

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

ricland ........

What can I say. When you see what's above my avatar you will probably want to grab me by the throat

There is no defined path for learning the XOOPS system. Now I agree that your frustrations are justified, because there are no nice glossy manuals to gently and cogently lead a beginner through the maze. BUT there is a wiki guide that has some very useful detailed information, if a little bit dis-jointed in places. AND we are working right now on a comprehensive set of user documents to provide just what you ask for. Remember, this project is all open source and totally voluntary material. It is also ongoing development, so written guidlines are apt to change as the software changes.

MEANWHILE, please ask specific questions here on the forums, we really do want to help people at every level, not just developers.

Best wishes,

Richard

Herko
  • 2004/4/19 20:18

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

why can't you grasp that there isn't one NOW? You've made this point about 20 times now, and EVERY time you have gotten the same answer.

Frankly, I find you a whiner, who shows an incapacity and unwillingness for basic learning. How many people like yourself do you think have succesfully set up a simple XOOPS website? My guess (an educated guess, as I know XOOPS quite well) would be several dozen. Where are their continued demands for a simple tutorial? I don't see them... There are many such requests, yes. Most of them made by yourself, as if your record's stuck in a groove. Or, for the geeks that are reading this thread as well, as a cd put on repeat. This is just my personal opinion of you after careful consideration of the posts you've made here. However, if you recall, I have agreed with your point, and shown you the concentrated effort made by this community to help you (among others) grasp the logic of XOOPS. I have been friendly, answered a few posts in a decent manner, and yet you continue to rant on these forums.

I have been here longer then you have, helped more people then you, made more usefull posts here (see my post count), put more hours into XOOPS and contributed without any demands for return or payment, so I have a right to an educated opinion.

I am warning you, officially. Many people take offence to the way you make your point, not to the point itself. I have never censored anyone for their opinions, but I have, and will continue to do so for the way they make their points. We always ask you to respect other members and the time, energy, knowledge and effor they have put into the system. It's open source, public, volunteer driven development. The system isn't built for you. Live with that.
In these past few posts, you have clearly shown you don't give a rat's rear about showing respect to the community. You continue to rant about a point that has been acknowlegded by a lot of people, who have done their best to help you out. You keep making demands that we jump up and help you out NOW, without any regards for politeness.

This warning is a first warning. Keep up this attitude, and you'll get a second warning. Three strikes, and you're out. It definately isn't personal, it's just the way we keep this community nice and friendly. Again, it's not censuring your opinion, it's censuring the disrespect and tone of the posts.

Herko

Mithrandir

Quote:
In other words, I'm wasting all kinds of time, boys
And I am wasting all kinds of time reading this.

Do you have difficulties installing XOOPS? Installing modules? Configuring modules? Setting permissions? Setting up blocks?

What exactly is your problem?
If you cannot answer this problem, I cannot see how we can help you.

Why can't you grasp this?

ricland
  • 2004/4/19 20:51

• ricland

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/15

<quote>This warning is a first warning. Keep up this attitude, and you'll get a second warning. Three strikes, and you're out. It definately isn't personal, it's just the way we keep this community nice and friendly. Again, it's not censuring your opinion, it's censuring the disrespect and tone of the posts.

Herko</quote>

Oh, Jesus, just what I need right now -- a little fascism. This is beautiful, man. What next? You burn me alive if we don't pull the troops out of Fallujah?

ricland

Mithrandir

Fascism?

Ok, you said earlier that you were stupid, but I thought that you only meant that you are ignorant of PHP/CMS/XOOPS things - not that you couldn't grasp fundamental rules of respecting other people.

Why on Earth you want to drag in the Iraq thing is beyond me and I suggest you go somewhere else with your useless and disrespecting posts.

On the topic of XOOPS being too complicated, I would suggest that you look at Mambo instead. It is easier to use, but lack in flexibility.

tom
  • 2004/4/19 21:04

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

As another suggestion, a McDonalds bag is easier to use but also lacks flexability.

Give it a rest man these people work damn hard to satisfy thousands upon thousands of users, and in my opinion they do satisfy.

If you don't have the time to learn, may I suggest knitting.

Herko
  • 2004/4/19 21:06

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

ricland wrote:
Oh, Jesus, just what I need right now -- a little fascism. This is beautiful, man. What next? You burn me alive if we don't pull the troops out of Fallujah?

ricland

Strike two. Where did iraq and fascism come from? Wasn't I clear? I know I was from my end.

Herko

Mithrandir

My Mambo suggestion was serious, though. I find it easier to setup and manage, but lacking in possibilities and flexibility, so if your needs are lower mambo may be good for you.

tom
  • 2004/4/19 21:09

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
My Mambo suggestion was serious, though. I find it easier to setup and manage, but lacking in possibilities and flexibility, so if your needs are lower mambo may be good for you.

I know, Sorry I was meaning to inject humour with my support for our XOOPS Gods, the people that bring many of us joy and happiness with this oustanding work.

Login

Who's Online

257 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 257

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits