hontzd
All users seeing same blocks?
  • 2004/4/12 14:59

• hontzd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/9 1

Hi all -

I'm trying to set up my site so that anonymous, registered and webmaster users get different blocks. I'm using the admin control panel blocks settings, changing the user pulldown and selecting the appropriate blocks for that user type. Problem is, all users are getting the settings when I make a change. Whichever user group I set up last, everyone ends up with those blocks.

Am I missing something here?

I'm using 2.x (whatever the latest is as off Friday) and a Dana-7 theme, if that matters.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated,
dan

Anonymous
Re: All users seeing same blocks?
  • 2004/4/12 15:26

• Anonymous

• Since:

make sure different users are pulled out from the "registered user" group. you have to make sure each group member is isolated in one group for it to work.

rabideau
  • 2004/4/12 15:30

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Try going to Sys Admin==> Groups from your Admin Page.

This is also all discussed (I think) in the User Guide at the left.

Olivier
  • 2004/4/12 17:56

• Olivier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/16

Simply change the settings in System>group

If you create many groups you can set many settings :)

hontzd
  • 2004/4/12 18:37

• hontzd

• Just popping in

Thanks for the ideas here. Maybe I should describe what I'm trying to do better. I'm using the default groups: Webmasters, Registered Users and Anonymous Users. Shouldn't I be able to define completely separate block "profiles" for each type of user? So if I wanted to show Anonymous Users a few blocks, Registered Users more and Webmasters more still. It seems like I should be able to do that with these default groups...

kahumbu
  • 2004/4/12 19:25

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

Yes you should.

We need to make distinctions between permissions and block settings. Set permissions through Sys Admin > Groups. Define which groups sees which block.

Then, from Sys Admin > Blocks, define how the blocks will be rendered (visibility, weight order). Sometimes, you give permission to a block, but it does not necessarily have to be visible.

Maybe this link will help explain it:
Modifying Blocks

hontzd
  • 2004/4/12 19:37

• hontzd

• Just popping in

ah, thank you, i think i get it now. it seemed that the sys admin -> blocks interface would be setting that ALL -- that if i set the select box to one group, visiblity changes i made were in fact specific for that group. but it sounds more like that user-select box just pulls up a list of blocks based on what you set up in the admin -> groups interface. and the visibility and weight settings you make on any list in that tool are universal.

Login

Who's Online

214 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 214

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits