myc1229
How long does it take to load your homepage?
  • 2004/4/10 2:33

• myc1229

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/10

Hi all, I'm just setting up my site and was wondering how you guys doing on the loading speed? It seems it takes min.10 sec to load mine and sometimes takes longer. I'm not using lots pictures (actually just 1 small one) and have 9 modules installed. Does it help on the loading speed if I use less modules? What else should I do to improve the speed? I'm running the site on my own server with comcast cable, and don't feel like paying for T1. Any ideas? Thanks

Stewdio
Re: How long does it take to load your homepage?
  • 2004/4/10 3:44

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Depends on the modules you have installed and what blocks your using on your start page, less is more when it comes right down to it.

If your using the Headlines block with RSS feed, it may slow your site down when fetching new news. The more localised your site is, the faster it renders.(ie no external scripts linking news to your site, etc) Also, your theme will have an effect. Keep your logo under a few kilobytes as with most of your graphics. Clean up loose html in custom pages, tighten the table usage and all that sort of thing.

If many people are having problems accessing your site, it may be a separate issue. But lets not jump the gun on that.

Currently, my site load time is pretty reasonable, except my headlines do slow it down some on occasion.

carnuke
  • 2004/4/10 7:49

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I have some 40 modules installed (my site is not live and I test a lot of stuff) However, as Stewdio said what you load per page is what matters. Another thing to be aware of is statistics scripts that parse your pages and write info back to the records. These can slow your pages considerably, especially javasript. While we mention it, javascript can generally be a problem causing slow pages, especially when using menus. You can improve page loading by implementing the cache feature in the modules. This needs using carefully however. The basic rule is this; If the content of the module does not change, you can cache it and save loading times for your visitors. Dynamic, changing content should not be cached, OR only set very short cache times.

Regards, Richard

Chainsaw
  • 2004/4/10 7:59

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

Yeah I can concur with that.

I had to disable my web stats javascript today. Once I disable it my page loaded quickly.

Also - I forgot to copy back my .htaccess to enable gzip compression.

FYI - although you specify compression on in XOOPS control panel, it is still off. You need to specify compression on in a .htaccess file.

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits