OldNo7
Can Xoops ...
  • 2004/4/6 21:39

• OldNo7

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/6 2

Greetings,
A friend and I are starting a website dedicated to humor, specifically one-liners regarding the size of a guy's schlong. :)

Now, we are looking for a CMS that will be able to do what we want ... here is what we want (sitting down?):

-Have visitors/members to submit jokes
-Enable visitors/members to search database of jokes
-Voting of "best joke of the month"
-Shopping?
-Advertising space?

I am sure there is more, but that will work for now. Another want is a custom theme that fits with the idea behind the website. If we decide to use XOOPS (so far its looking pretty good), are there designers out there that won't "rip us a new one" in the wallet for a custom theme? :)

Thanks in advance for your patience and any suggestions or comments.

-Old No. 7

Mithrandir
Re: Can Xoops ...

Looks like a yes on all accounts. Whether it can be done through existing modules depends a little on what you had in mind.

Regarding themes, I can usually make something for $150-$200 - don't know if that is "ripping you a new one" - depending on how well you have thought out the requirements, colours, graphics and such.

You can also look at www.webdesignhut.com and see if there is a TemplateMonster template you like and contact me for a conversion to a XOOPS theme. A "flat" conversion (i.e. non-flash version and just a straight conversion with minimum of negotiations between you and me) is charged a fixed price of $150.

Somebody might even help you for free, if you ask nicely, so there are lots of possibilities.

OldNo7
  • 2004/4/6 22:16

• OldNo7

• Just popping in

Wow - yes, that would qualify as "ripping us a new one" - though we appreciate the work that goes into a custom job of anything.

At the start of this new hobby project we would offer someone the credit of doing a great job and being a part of this great little website (which I am sure will grow as it gets more organized). :)

I am wondering if it would be too much to ask how you think we could do the joke submission's (at a minimum) with Xoops? .. We are tinkering, but appreciate all assistance - and will post credit for all tutorial assistance. :)

-O7

Mithrandir

Well, you could use WF-Sections for the actual jokes. That would allow you to have categories and subcategories as well as allowing your visitors to rate the jokes and I am fairly certain that there is a good search function in that module.

For advertising space, look at the banners module and possibly partners as well.

Shopping - there we have some third party modules... can't remember the names now... something with k-shop should be quite good, but I have not experience with that kind of modules.

I'm sure that if there is someone with a desire for a "showcase" or want to be part of the site, then he or she would love to do a theme for you - but I don't really. So for me, it is a matter of doing some work and being paid to do so
Making a theme sounds like a very simple thing, but it can easily take 3-4 hours or more if there are special desires from the customer or if the themer does a little, then asks for feedback, then implements that and asks for more feedback from the customer etc.

I hope you find one to do it for you, though.

HughG
  • 2004/4/6 22:36

• HughG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

Quote:

OldNo7 wrote:

I am sure there is more, but that will work for now. Another want is a custom theme that fits with the idea behind the website. If we decide to use XOOPS (so far its looking pretty good), are there designers out there that won't "rip us a new one" in the wallet for a custom theme? :)

https://xoops.org/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=25
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=xoops+themes

There should be something out there that you could tweak to your needs. If not, you can always look at the aNukes: themes... they are easy to convert to Xoops. Resized Image

OldNo7
  • 2004/4/7 13:28

• OldNo7

• Just popping in

OK - so we will try and setup XOOPS for our purposes without a lick of PHP knowledge. This ought to be fun. :)

I love the way XOOPS works, and the configuration seems quite straight forward, however: ...

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Well, you could use WF-Sections for the actual jokes. That would allow you to have categories and subcategories as well as allowing your visitors to rate the jokes and I am fairly certain that there is a good search function in that module.

I don't mean to sound inept, heh, but where is this WF-Sections? I couldn't see anything "obvious" in the configuration of the XOOPS last night.

Quote:

Making a theme sounds like a very simple thing, but it can easily take 3-4 hours or more if there are special desires from the customer or if the themer does a little, then asks for feedback, then implements that and asks for more feedback from the customer etc.

I never said I thought it was an easy job. One of my good friends is a web designer, for museums, and he goes through hell sometimes. :) ... So I completely understand, but for this 'hobby' website, $200 is pretty steep. We'll just fumble through it ourselves with the great tips and information available on this website.

-Old No. 7

OldNo7
  • 2004/4/7 13:29

• OldNo7

• Just popping in

Quote:

https://xoops.org/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=25
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=xoops+themes

There should be something out there that you could tweak to your needs. If not, you can always look at the aNukes: themes... they are easy to convert to Xoops. Resized Image

We thank you for this information and the web links. But when we took a lot, practically none of the templates were accessible for download. So I guess we will have to hack one together ourselves.

Thanks!!
-Old No. 7

Mithrandir

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits