Daigoro
How to use HTML entities in xoops mail templates???
  • 2004/2/22 22:39

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

Hi,

To make sure all browsers displays notification PM's with correct danish chars such as "å", I have to use HTML entities such as "& aring;" (Had to insert a space to have it displayed here.) in my mail templates.
However, if the user selects to recieve email notifications, then the html entities will become part of a text/plain message. This in turn means that the user who recieves the email will see the entities and not the intented char.

How can I make sure (hack?) that HTML entities in both the subject and body of the email are converted to real chars?

Best regards,

Daigoro
Re: How to use HTML entities in xoops mail templates???
  • 2004/2/23 14:42

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

The only solusion I've found sofar, is to change all system emails to text/html (by hacking the phpmailer) and then insert line-break tags into the mail templates.

It must be possible to do it in a better (less destructive) way.

Looking forward to any idears.

Regards,

Daigoro

Herko
  • 2004/2/23 16:25

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

aren't those available by using ALT-number? Like µ (ALT-1254)? I mean, it makes sence not to use HTML entities, because the plain text charset has them too, no? (How else would they have managed without html entities all the time?)

Herko

Daigoro
  • 2004/2/23 21:19

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Herko,

Those signs are available in the normal ISO-8859-1 table, but if I write them directly into the template, then I often find that Internet Explore 6+ will display the wrong chars when displaying the mesage as PM. The only solusion I've found, was to use HTML entities, then the correct signs are always used, but the html entity would then remain visible in the mails.

Another thing is that one (not nessary me) might write the mail template using ISO8859-x (x = 1-11), and then want the html entitie used converted to the appropriate number for the char in the selected encoding. (This could be signs like copyright, registrated trademark etc. but also national symbols as those I am trying to use.)

Thus, it would be a realy nice if it was possible to convert the html entities once the email is send.

Regards,
Daigoro

Herko
  • 2004/2/23 21:41

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I agree that it would be nice to be able to do this the easy way. I'll have our devs look at this, but I cant guarantee anything

Herko

Mithrandir

Perhaps it is possible to do something in the mailer->send() function in the if ($this->useEmail == true) (possibly wrong variable name, I apologise ) clause?

Daigoro
  • 2004/2/24 15:37

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Thanks Herko,
I'm looking forward to anything that can help fit this problem.

(The best fix would be for microsoft to fix all present versions of IE 6, but thats too much to hope for! )

Best regards,

Login

Who's Online

141 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 141

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits