marcan
Upgrading to a new version of XOOPS
  • 2004/2/7 14:21

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

Hi !

Ok, now that XOOPS 2.0.6 is out, I need to install it, of course. I've done the upgrade from 2.0.5 to 2.0.5.1 and then to 2.0.5.2 without any problem. However, since I installed 2.0.5.2, I've also install a couple of hacks and the MultiLanguage module of hsalazar.

Here's my question : what is the recommended procedure to install a new version when the site already have a lot of hacks.

What do you suggest ?

Thanks for any help !

brash
Re: Upgrading to a new version of XOOPS
  • 2004/2/7 14:33

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

The further you move away from the core, the more complicated your upgrade paths becomes, so without knowing your exact environment it becomes difficult to advise on upgrade paths. I have kept hacks to a minimum, and have documented any I have done so that I know what changes I must make after an upgrade. Do you have an accurate list of all the hacks you have preformed on your site?

marcan
  • 2004/2/7 15:14

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

So this is a good thing to know : document any hack you do on your site. Wish I had know that before....

So I guess the good way to do it must be to trace any hack I've done. Then for each one, find each files that were modified. For each one of theses files, I need to check if the 2.0.6 version have a new version of that same file. Am I right? Do I forget someting?

I think that a new XOOPS module should be created to keep track of all those changes done by site admin.

Thanks for the help !

tl
  • 2004/2/7 16:24

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Winmerge is very handy.

Upgrade or not?

I usually create a local mirror of the website with the same directory structure. All my hacked files are stored and updated there.

Then I would use Winmerge to compare and update the files.

Hope this helps.

kahumbu
  • 2004/2/7 17:24

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

This happened to me when I upgraded from 2.0.3 to 2.0.5. I did not remember the hacks I did. So I started documenting them.

I use outliner programs like Treepad or Quickplot. The outline structure is the file structure with the file names. I only place the folders and the file names of those that I hacked. And I jot down the specific hacks in the text area. By just looking at my outline, I can already see which files I hacked and need to change after the upgrade.

marcan
  • 2004/2/9 21:16

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

Thanks kahumbu !

Does anyone have another way of doing it?

Dave_L
  • 2004/2/9 21:40

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I use basically the method described above. I use the directory/file comparison utility BeyondCompare for examining and merging changes.

In addition, I use a text file, e.g. xoops_hacks.txt, to summarize all my hacks. Here's a typical entry in that file:

#*#UNCACHE_DATES#: Apply current user's timezone offset to last-post date/times in forum module's Recent Topics block.
Reason:
- If Recent Topics block is cached, the timezone offset used for the last-post date/times is determined by the last user to cause the cache to refresh.
Modified:
- modules/newbb/blocks/newbb_new.php
- modules/newbb/templates/blocks/newbb_block_new.html
New:
- class/smarty/plugins/function.xoops_date.php
- include/phpdate.js

The string #*#UNCACHE_DATES# is also used within the modified files to identify the changed lines. I chose that odd syntax because it's unusual (not likely to occur elsewhere), so it's easy to search for. Also, # denotes a comment in PHP, Perl and Linux shell scripts, so I can place the tag almost anywhere.

marcan
  • 2004/2/10 19:03

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

Thanks Dave_L, I downloaded BeyondCompare and started to document the changes I've made.

Thanks for the help !

There must be a place where people installing hacks are warned to document the change... I'll see that it is included in some documentation

Cheers !

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits