philroy
Valid CSS & HTML, Google and Urchin
  • 2004/1/15 0:05

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/8/23

Hi all,

Before I move a moderately sized site to Xoops, I guess I'd like some reassurance on the following, or any comments...

CSS & HTML
----------
How compliant is Xoops? If you try and validate this site for example, using these tests...
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html
http://validator.w3.org/

You get errors? Is this showing it's not compliant, or just that the validators don't like database-driven websites?

Google
------
Will pages within a XOOPS system still be seen and recorded by Google? I like the fact that the search engine picks up my site. I may even use it for the site search engine, if I choose not to use the in-built one.

Urchin
------
My host has this statistics system installed, and once a menth, I use it to generate images of stats charts that I send to a site sponsor. I want this to continue. Will Urchin be affected by moving to XOOPS at all?

Cheers,

Phil

Aine
Re: Valid CSS & HTML, Google and Urchin
  • 2004/1/15 2:42

• Aine

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/7/10

I think the css validator is messed up unless you point it directly -to- your css file. I haven't checked XOOPS with this yet.

I just validated a new XOOPS 2 installation today with the other validator (XHTML 1.0). XOOPS passes. Just be careful what you put in your custom blocks, etc.

Also, be aware that any third party modules may throw your validation off if the developer wasn't conscientious about web standards. This isn't a fault of xoops.org or the core program.

Google doesn't have a problem indexing xoops-based sites. In fact, it's one of the best about spidering everything.

philroy
  • 2004/1/21 19:41

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

OK...have found that in fact it is possible to have XOOPS validated...you just need to do some tidying of code and even hack some modules slightly. I've also seen other postings here regarding Google and all seems OK there.

Anyone got any comment on Urchin? Assuming that Google can scan pages for their search engine, it's sounding as though Urchin should be able to produce normal stats on a site running Xoops.

I just really need to make sure I'm going to be able to continue to produce the stats I have been for the static site.

Phil

sunsnapper

As a test, you can set up a blank XOOPS site with no modules or blocks and try to validate it. I think you will find that it validates.

As you bring each module on, items will validate or not based upon how well the templates for the module comply to xhtml coding standards.

Also, note that some of the validation errors you get when you parse xoops.org are either & signs in the title of a message or validation errors in a particular Custom Block.

The only errors that are raising my eyebrows are the PHPSESSID errors. Not sure if that will be fixed, or even if it is a legitimate error.

Also, the theme you choose to use needs to be xhtml compliant (or compliant with whatever doctype is stated for the theme) or everything else is moot.

WarDick
  • 2004/1/21 22:02

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Is it important to be validated?
Is it something to be concerned about? Other than the display of pages on browsers?
Do search engines really care?

philroy
  • 2004/1/21 23:46

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

Sunsnapper...thanks for the comments, but as I mentioned, I'd already figured that out...my last remaining question is about Urchin.

WarDick....Yes, Yes!, yes.....and, no, they may not care, but I like clean code.

Any comments on Urchin anyone?

Phil

digital01
  • 2004/6/12 17:59

• digital01

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/3 1

Does anyone know how to fix the PHPSESSID errors? I just tried to validate my site and it gave me several errors about this code:
<a href="/xoops/modules/news/index.php?storytopic=0&start=5&PHPSESSID=a6cc634e058ed82a76e365efc7b48134">

It doesnt agree with the & right before the PHPSESSID. You can see the results of the validation here
Does anyone know how and where to go to fix this? Thanks.

tjnemez
  • 2004/6/12 20:26

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

should be no issues getting css validated.

Login

Who's Online

127 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 127

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits