WarDick
Does anyone using Xoops have a good PageRank?
  • 2004/1/8 13:19

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

I haven't run across a site running XOOPS that also has a good page rank. In the middle of November Google changed the methods it uses to determine PageRank. This would be a good time for the XOOPS community to shine. If we could figure out the new ranking system. From what I can find out everything is still just rumors.

Mithrandir
Re: Does anyone using Xoops have a good PageRank?

Dunno about rank, but if you google for "Clan Modules" - my site is at the top.

WarDick
  • 2004/1/8 13:52

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Great your rank is 5/10 that one of the best I have been able to find? Do you have any Idea how you achieved it? Maybe it is because of your URL.

Do you have a page last updated feature on your site?

Herko
  • 2004/1/8 13:56

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

XOOPS.org has a pagerank of 7/10.

Herko

Mithrandir

Quote:

WarDick wrote:
Great your rank is 5/10 that one of the best I have been able to find? Do you have any Idea how you achieved it? Maybe it is because of your URL.

Do you have a page last updated feature on your site?
I have absolutely no idea how I achieved it. It can't be because of the amount of hits - have had 1500 in about 1½-2 months - and I have less than 80 users.

I just filled in the meta information in XOOPS and let Google do the rest. Actually thought that it wouldn't show on Google unless I applied for it, so I was kinda surprised to see it there on the first page... But don't ask me about search engines, I don't know jack about them.

Mithrandir

Quote:
Google writes:

PageRank Explained

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.

WarDick
  • 2004/1/8 14:53

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Do you have a LOT of IMPORTANT sites linking to your site?

How does Google know you have a QUALITY web site when you can buy linkages from IMPORTANT sites?

From what I can find out Google doesn't look at the META data

CBlue

I find it depends on your content, if you have words on your site that relate to what people are asking about, then it will find your page. I've had forum threads show up at the top of google searches because it's something that fits the search. I don't think meta tags are enough because, related sites to mine use the exact same meta tags I do. So that's competition in the rankings. If you put actual content that relates to the what people are looking for, then you move up higher in the google searches.

kahumbu
  • 2004/1/8 15:58

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

Content is very important for page rank in Google. It is more important than meta data. Your website should contain articles that also contain your most important keywords. That's why, at least for my site, the News module is more 'visible' in Google even though it contains only 30+ articles, as compared to my more active NewBB.

My suggestion is to maximize your Article Management System (News or WF-Sections) and use it to create articles with your keywords.

WarDick
  • 2004/1/8 16:11

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

Your suggestion makes perfect sense to me however I have run across pages with almost no content with a good ranking. It seems that depending on what links you have pointing to your page make more of a difference.

Login

Who's Online

124 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 124

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits