kkoym
Xoops blog abilities versus MovableType
  • 2004/1/6 22:48

• kkoym

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/8

I have a few questions- there are some reasons that I would like to use XOOPS for a large business site (we are starting with no money, but highly expectant). I need certain capabilities that MovableType has, and others that XOOPS has. Specifically:

1. I would like to be able to easily host about 90 blogs out of one installation of Xoops, where all of the users have a singular login.

2. I want to be able to track each blog as well via RSS. (otherwise I would load it mulitple times... )

3. Anyone have experience with about 700 people pounding on a XOOPS installation?

Thanks. I hope to bring this project to the XOOPS community. Any thoughts or pointers appreciated.

Kevin

PureLuXus
Re: Xoops blog abilities versus MovableType
  • 2004/1/6 22:54

• PureLuXus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/3 2

did u check wellwine.net?
did u check wellwine.net?
tested and worked smooth ;D

Jakobo
  • 2004/1/7 6:22

• Jakobo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/18

This is hard because I actually use MT on my personnal site and a few others. Here is the rule I use when deciding platforms.

A) What will it do?

B) Is that all it will ever do?

C) What is the most important feature for you?

Usually theres three questions help when I am weighing Nuke against XOOPS against Movable Type against B2 (etc).

If you know all you will ever have (or ever will have) is blog-centric data, then Movable Type will probably be your number 1 option. RSS, Collaborative Blogs, HTML page generation (for non google bots), and it's use of PERL instead of PHP all make it a better choice if (and only if) you are going to be doing just blogs.

The instant you start adding other things such as calendaring, profiles, and the all important forums, it starts becoming a lot trickier to decide what's best. I strongly encourage you in the planning stages to install a copy of each and see which one will better meet you and your user's needs. Sometimes the clients just like posting interface X over Y.

Give XOOPS a shake, and it might be just what you need! Good luck enjoy Xoops!

pstrasma
  • 2004/1/7 7:20

• pstrasma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/23

I too am running both a small Movable Type community (3 blogs) and a XOOPS community (not blogging-oriented though). And I agree with Jackobo's comments.

With Movable Type, one danger is that you can quickly run into quite a bit of complexity with multiple blogs all running their own templates. Yes, you can fix that by restricting the blogs to a few central template files / style-sheets, but then you lose the custimizability that is one of the best parts of MT. The upside I see in MT is the straightforward way you can configure each blog with it's own URL and then lock down users so they can't mess with the internals / templates / etc... Plug-in wise, you'd probably want to consider at least mt-blacklist for spam and the permalinks hack to work around the way MT numbers articles in numerical sequence without regard to which blog is publishing it.

Running out of Xoops, I think you'd have to use both the WeBLog module and the one that lets you setup run multiple virtual hosts on a single installation. No experience with either of those tools, but I'm sure it could be done although I wonder how the backend.php RSS generator would handle it. The advantages I see with using XOOPS are the simplicity of offering blog owners & viewers) different themes using the built-in theme block and the ability to add many non-blog features.

Something you might want to investigate before making your decision is SixApart's product development plans. I recall reading somewhere that the two next big products after TypePad were 1) MT Pro, adding in the photo blogs & simplifying templates / styles & 2) Hosted TypePad for resellers. The later would seem to be ideal for your situation, maybe you can convince them to let you beta?

Login

Who's Online

143 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 143

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits