jayjay
Fonts render too big in IE5 - possible solution
  • 2004/1/6 15:19

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/10

Hi everyone!

I had this css problem in XOOPS where fonts would render too big in the control panel and in some themes when using IE5. I searched xoops.org and found quite a few people struggling with this problem. I also found zero answers to solve the problem.

After some dabbling I found a fairly simple fix to fonts rendering too big in the control panel:
just add this code in modules\system\style.css

td
{
font-size: 11px;
}

Fonts in the control panel will now render the right size when using IE5 (in this case 11px).

This simple solution could help you when debugging themes that have problems with IE5. I haven't checked it though cos my theme is IE5 compliant

Ciao!

ukdave
Re: Fonts render too big in IE5 - possible solution
  • 2004/1/6 19:14

• ukdave

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/27

The option I devised is to add the following code to the very, very top of your index.php file. You know, the one in your root directory with mainfile.php. This will redirect ie5 and early netscape users to two html files, one called stop.html and the other called stop2.html. Make those two html files yourself and put something in them like "your browser is too old/crap for our site" and perhaps even provide a link to the upgrade sites. Put them in your root folder too.

<script>
version=parseInt(navigator.appVersion);
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf('5.')>-1){version=5};
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf('6.')>-1){version=6};
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf('7.')>-1){version=7};
browser='OTHER';
if (navigator.appName=='Netscape'){browser='NS'+version;}
if (navigator.appName=='Microsoft Internet Explorer'){browser='MSIE'+version;}
if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE 3')>0) {browser='MSIE3';}
if(browser == 'NS5'){browser='NS6'};
if (browser=='MSIE3') {window.location='/stop.html'}
if (browser=='MSIE4') {window.location='/stop.html'}
if (browser=='MSIE5') {window.location='/stop.html'}
if (browser=='NS3') {window.location='/stop2.html'}
if (browser=='NS4') {window.location='/stop2.html'}
</script>

Trust me, it works!- UKDave

script_fu

Interesting idea...

ukdave
  • 2004/1/6 22:49

• ukdave

• Just popping in

I have experimented with ageing and recent versions of Opera, Netscape, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla and eventually settled with the script above.

The basis for my web site is x2t which (just like this XOOPS web site)looks terrible through particular browsers, especially IE5x. So bad infact that I decided not to even let clients in if they were using any of the above.

I found several articles where the authors would slate web developers who "can't develop web sites good enough for their particular browser type."

I felt that less damage would be done in the longer term if I redirected clients to a page that suggested their browser was in need of an update and supplied the link to do so.

Regards, UKDave

jayjay
  • 2004/1/7 9:18

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

Hi UKDave!

I'm a bit stumped by that superficial remark about browsers. Although I'm not a fan of IE5 (not even IE6), It is a reality that many surfers still use IE5 for browsing. Barring them from entering isn't good for your site, because it will cost you at least 25% users plus it will irritate a lot of surfers (even the non-IE5 users).

You are asking us to go back to the time of the big rivalry between Netscape and IE, where hobbyist web designers would block certain web browsers because they just felt like it.

The internet is an open medium and websites should be accessible to everyone up to some point. Your theme can be made IE5-ready btw. I read some posts about it on this site.

Ciao!

Panos
  • 2004/1/7 11:14

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

jayjay,

ukdave's comment and post was far from superficial. The man simply spoke the truth. IE 5.x for Windows, is one of the browsers with the worst support for Cascading Style Sheets, along with Netscape Communicator 4.x on every OS and every system.

jayjay
  • 2004/1/7 12:25

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

As I said before, I am not a fan of IE, but I am realistic: everybody uses it so my site supports it (even ol' version 5). It's that simple. Of course you and UKDave can do whatever you want, but if everybody would do likewise the internet wouldn't be a friendly place.

Comparing NS 4 to IE5 would be wrong: NS4 launched in 1997, IE5 in 1999. Although both are dinosaurs, NS4 is a total nightmare with contemporary sites. It used to be good... in 1997. IE5 still has mediocre support for css and does a satisfiable job when rendering current websites (although there are better programmes available). Plus of course NS4 is used by less then 0.5% of all users (last time I checked) while IE5 is still widely spread.

Ciao!

ukdave
  • 2004/1/7 14:39

• ukdave

• Just popping in

I fully accept that barring people from web sites because of browser type may reduce the popularity of those particular websites however I don't think the WWW will grind to a halt over it.

My personal preference is quality over quantity. I like to be clean shaven and smartly dressed before I face the world. All I have done is added a little of my own character and style to a web site, thats all.

Panos
  • 2004/1/7 15:44

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

First of all, not 'everybody' uses IE. This statement is false and confusing.

Secondly, the fact that IE was launched 2 years after NS 4.x makes your argument even weaker, in the sense that it SHOULD at the time allow for PROPER CSS 1 and CSS 2 support!

Thank you for acknowledging the fact that 'there are better programs out there'. Of course there are and I urge everyone to get a copy of Mozilla, Firebird, Camino (for OS X users), use Konqueror, Epiphany, Galeon, Opera, Omniweb etc Would you like me to go on?

In any case, no one is barring anyone. My site is also as cross-browser compatible as possible, but since XOOPS relies heavily on CSS, there could be problems with some themes and some browsers.

Of course one could hardcode the style into the theme.html file and 'lock' it there, but is it worth it taking one step forward and two steps backwards?

jayjay
  • 2004/1/8 7:53

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

I wasn't going to answer your post, but hey... I'm having fun

First of all I supposed that you would be able to read between the lines when I said 'everybody'. If I use 'omnipresent', would you then understand what I'm trying to say?

Secondly implementing standards isn't done overnight. Back in 1999, when IE5 was launched, all browsers had lacking support for css1 and css2 (up until today even the W3C 'browser' Amaya, doesn't fully support css2).

Thirdly, you may not be barring anyone, but UKDave is. When I said "you can do whatever you want" I wasn't refering to you barring anyone, but to you supporting UKDave's case (and of course you have the full right to do that).

Let me finish by providing this link:
http://www.google.be/search?q=browser+stats&num=100

Browser stats may not be 100% reliable, but they may give you a hint of what the average Joe is using. I'll stick with Opera though

It was nice discussing with you!

Ciao

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits