arinf
Keeping some configuration intact
  • 2004/1/5 22:29

• arinf

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/26

I plan to move a XOOPS site I have on a subdomain over to the main site but I don’t want to spend all the time to configure everything again if I don’t have to. Is there some way to keep the configuration intact or copy certain files over to the new installation that will keep me from configuring everything again?

I know that there will be certain things I will have to configure but what about things like blocks and usergroup permissions, etc ?

Mithrandir
Re: Keeping some configuration intact

If you move the site to the main site with the EXACT same files, all you need to do is copy the database (ALL XOOPS tables WITH data) and edit the mainfile.php to reflect the new location. Don't bother with the installation, but remember to CHMOD the files and folders properly and delete the installation folder.

davidl2
  • 2004/1/6 0:46

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Actually this is a question i've been meaning to ask.....

Is there anyway of ftp'ing a backup of a XOOPS site - and keeping all the CHMOD settings intact?

Catzwolf
  • 2004/1/6 1:16

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

To my knowledge I do not think, so but someone with more knowledge regarding windows and unix systems maybe able to help you here.

davidl2
  • 2004/1/6 1:20

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Many thanks anyway - will keep an eye on the thread :)

DonXoop

I can tell you what I did as a test today. I created a test server and based it on a copy of my site. I took the entire database and inserted the tables into a new database (easy with phpAdmin), tar+zip'd the xoops_root and placed it on the new site. Made the changes in mainfile.php and started it up.

Almost no issues at all. My Gallery had problems with the random images but that was from my choice of file ownership since I prefer setting Apache UID instead of 777 for the cache dirs. Fixable.

If you can handle setting directory rights if the transfer tool doesn't preserve them then sure, you can move without a reconfig. I'll bet it's a bit easier on *nix though.

halki
  • 2004/1/6 6:37

• halki

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/27

If you have shell access to your hosting you can use tar to bundle up all your files and preserve all the ownerships and permissions.

tar -cvpf mysite.tar ~/public_html

~/public_html should be replaced with whatever your site's doc root is.

If you dont have shell access to your hosting, Id put that high on my shopping list for my next host ;)

You wont be able to ftp your directories and files with intact permissions onto a windows system since unix and windows use entirely different schemes. If your host doesnt allow you to have a shell, perhaps you could ask them to tar up your directory for you (with the command above) and then ftp to wherever.

davidl2
  • 2004/1/6 21:31

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

To be honest - my hosting is from a really nice firm, (www.3dpixelnet.com) so I'm sure they can sort out tar-ing up for me :)

I checked on this earlier with one of the admin people from www.gameon.co.uk - and they also advised the same method - so great minds think alike :)

Many thanks for the help

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits