finalfiler
Curious about user registration security
  • 2003/12/1 12:32

• finalfiler

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2002/1/19

Over the last couple of days I have been observing a whole lot of new user registrations on a site that would usually only have a couple of new users a week.

At the same time the webmaster email account for that site has picked up on the SPAM rate.

The registrants' email addresses appear valid but the owners don't respond when I contact them.

Am I being paranoid.

chrisz
Re: Curious about user registration security
  • 2003/12/1 12:46

• chrisz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/9 1

This brings to mind a good idea. When someone registers on sites such as Yahoo, an image is generated containing several characters and the person registering has to type the contents of that image. Perhaps this should (could?) be incorporated into Xoops?

Chris

finalfiler
  • 2003/12/1 12:52

• finalfiler

• Documentation Writer

Oddly the site in question has just started generating

Fatal error: Unable to connect to database in /public_html/php/class/database/databasefactory.php on line 34

Tryhttp://www.public-cemeteries.net

It's a worry

wtravel

If you did not change any files in the meantime, check if you can connect to the database in your database management tool (phpAdmin for example).

Regards,

Martijn

finalfiler
  • 2003/12/1 13:03

• finalfiler

• Documentation Writer

Nah. SOmething's wrong. Get "Wrong username/password. Access denied." when trying to open mySQL.

Hope my backup is good :(

wtravel

I hope so too . Did you contact your web hosting provider about this? Is your ftp account still working?

Martijn

chrisz
  • 2003/12/1 13:11

• chrisz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/9 1

Quote:

finalfiler wrote:
Oddly the site in question has just started generating

Fatal error: Unable to connect to database in /public_html/php/class/database/databasefactory.php on line 34

Tryhttp://www.public-cemeteries.net

It's a worry

I updated to 2.0.5.1 last Wednesday and mine did the same thing for a couple minutes and then just went away. ??? I haven't seen it since. Who is your web host?

Chris

DFBH13
  • 2003/12/1 16:37

• DFBH13

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/26

yes i would also like to know about this...

2 site i normaly visit have been hacked about 3 times in november and when you accessa module you get "Bi0s Crash_Overwing Here Grats + TheKiller " and today when i tryed to access them i got "Fatal error: Unable to connect to database in /home/wolfpa/public_html/wpc/class/database/databasefactory.php on line 34"

Im unsure the host,

CBlue

Quote:

chrisz wrote:
This brings to mind a good idea. When someone registers on sites such as Yahoo, an image is generated containing several characters and the person registering has to type the contents of that image. Perhaps this should (could?) be incorporated into Xoops?

Chris

PhpNuke has this same security feature. There is an Anti-Dos Attacks module for xoops. I don't know if it could stop this kind of hacking though.

finalfiler
  • 2003/12/1 20:39

• finalfiler

• Documentation Writer

Server problem - fixed.

phew....

Thanks

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits