CBlue
Problem with private forums being seen by anonymous and registered users!

How do I get the 2.05 version of XOOPS to make the private forums completely hidden by everyone but the groups assigned to them?

In version 2.03, no one but the people given permission to, could see the forums and topics on the forums main page. Now after I upgraded to version 2.05, I have realized that anyone can see these private forums. They can't read the posts but they can see the names of the topics.

I have searched everywhere in my system admin and forums admin to try and fix this but there is no option to make the forums hidden as well as private.

Anyone have the solution? Please.

tom
Re: Problem with private forums being seen by anonymous and registered users!
  • 2003/11/24 18:45

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I don't believe you can hide the forum, however normal users should not be able to see thread titles or posts, and they are not able to search them.

When the click on the forum they can not access it.

Is this what you mean?

hope this is of some help.

CBlue

No, they don't have access to actually reading the posts but they can read the topics because the topics show up in the forums and all private forums and their topics are showing up for anyone to see.

Is it possible to keep everyone but the groups assigned to those private forums from seeing those forums listed?

The reason I ask is that I don't want other people to even know those forums exist or even what the forums are about. They are private forums.

CBlue

Okay, it is only private forums that are showing up to every user on my site and not the topics too. But...this didn't happen with version 2.03 of xoops. Before I upgraded to version 2.05, no one that wasn't part of a private forum could see the private forum at all anywhere. Now that I'm running version 2.05, everyone can see the private forums in the main page of the forums. They can't see the topics or posts but they can see the titles of the forums.

Why is this only happening with version 2.05 and not 2.03? I don't want to go back to 2.03, I happen to like 2.05 but I don't want all visitors to see the private forums when they click on the forums link. They should only be able to see the public ones.

Mithrandir

I'm quite sure that the 2.0.3 newbb distributed with 2.0.3 had the same deficiency - I am rather certain that this will be as you want it to be in the next version of newbb (I believe Predator is head of further developing that module)

CBlue

Thanks MithyT2! But I believe 2.03 did not have this problem because I used it for a long time and I have the same private forums on my site now as I did then and I had to make sure certain moderators couldn't see the private boards because they weren't part of them. They had told me that they couldn't see them then. But now they can. I am going on their word and hopefully they were being honest with me.

regen_r8
  • 2003/11/26 22:18

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

Back in the day, I published a hack for the forums that did exactly what you said it should, and some more. I have kept it current for my own use, and published current versions on my site up through 2.0.4.

This hack allows you to control the permissions behavior of the newbb forum with regard to private forums and visibility through index pages, blocks and searches.

Activity has died down, and I never published a version for 2.0.5, but I will if you are interested.

Check it out on The Regenerate Web

Lemme know here or there if you want the updated hack.

Rich

CBlue

Is it possible that this hack will already work for 2.05 and even 2.05.1? If not, then I definitely am interested!

DonXoop

I say yes to getting this up to date. I'd say this will get fixed in the core (Module?). Private should mean private. The rumour mill that starts when people can't get into what is listed is universal. Letting them read but not post is fine if it is clear why. But don't tease them with topics they can't even read.

Great product BTW. I just discovered XoopS.

mktwain124
  • 2003/11/27 16:47

• mktwain124

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/27

regen_r8 wrote:
Quote:
Activity has died down, and I never published a version for 2.0.5, but I will if you are interested.

Thanks, I would be very interested in an updated version of your hack. Please email me if you post it on your website or post it here as a download. Thanks for your help.

Login

Who's Online

241 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 241

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits