WMurray
Can't run scripts from public html dir
  • 2003/11/1 18:02

• WMurray

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/31

Hey guys, I may have to just find a new web host but I thought I'd run this by you and see if anyone has an idea.
Apparently, I can't dump the entire contents of the XOOPs \html to my public html folder. My host only allows scripts run from a \cgi dir. Here's an excerpt from their FAQ:

Q: Are my scripts required to reside in a special directory?
A: Your scripts must reside in the cgi directory of your
Web directory tree.

Q:What information do I need to execute a PHP script?
A:*We currently support version 3 and 4.2.3 of PHP.
*The VDE environment requires you to use the 'sh-bang' line at the top of your script:
-PHP v3 #!/usr/bin/php or #!/usr/local/bin/php
-PHP v4 #!/usr/bin/php4 or #!/usr/local/bin/php4
If you don't use the /php4 tag in the #! line for version 4, the extension must then be php4.

*Scripts must be run out of the /cgi directory
*You must have VDE/CGI turned on. You can do this by going to the XO™ Gateway, select Control Panel, then select Manage Hosting, then Account Settings, and then check the Yes block next to Allow CGI (VDE) Access under Feature Settings (I've done this.)
*The files must be named filename.php

Q:What is the absolute path to my root Web directory?
A:The only path you need is /web

Q:What is the absolute path for my cgis?
A:The absolute path ishttp://domain.ext/cgi/scriptname.ext

Q:Are there any limitations for files in the /cgi directory?
A:You should only store your cgi files in the /cgi directory. While standard HTML pages will work in the /cgi directory, it is better to keep all of your non-cgi files out of the /cgi directory. Images that are stored in other than the /web folder cannot be displayed on a web page.

As you can probably tell, I'm new to a lot of this and would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

DerekM
Re: Can't run scripts from public html dir
  • 2003/11/2 1:56

• DerekM

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/22

well, the only thing you can really do is get a better webhost, i know someone that can set you up for almost nothing and give you tons of space because he has his own servers. Becuase you can't have images in the cgi but you have to have scripts in there it would be impossible to install XOOPS or almost any php engine without some serious recoding. if your interested in some better hosting contact me at dm2@nc.rr.com , sorry

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits