kerrysl
Which forum module do you reckon?
  • 2003/9/12 23:14

• kerrysl

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/9 6

Here is the background. I have a site that is currently running PHPBB2 and other articles. I want to convert this site to XOOPS but I am wondering which forum option to go for?
I am a regular user of Invision and PHPBB2 and like both boards. One design criteria is that all postings on the current board can be converted over to the new site.

So what are the Pros and Cons of using;
1) NewBB?
2) PHPBB2 Module?
3) Invision Module?

Kerry

kerrysl
Re: Which forum module do you reckon?
  • 2003/9/15 1:37

• kerrysl

• Just popping in

C'mon guys, I'm inviting people to sing the praises of NewBB, or PHPBB2(xoops module), or Invision Power Board (xoops module). The must be some webmasters that have tried some of these and have comments to make.

Which is best and why? Can PHPBB2 posts/users be converted to your recommended forum module?

Kerry.

brash
  • 2003/9/15 1:54

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I was planning on using IPBM inplace of NewBB as I felt the features offered by IPBM outweighed the disadvantages of having an unclear upgrade path, and the fact that it took a bit more to administer as it wasn't XOOPS core as NewBB is.

However, now that I see Catz is putting his skills into developing NewBB, I think I'll be sticking to NewBB. I doubt NewBB will ever have a feature set as rich as IPBM, but that also has it's advantages in that it's easy to administer.

kerrysl
  • 2003/9/16 8:13

• kerrysl

• Just popping in

Thanks Brash for your comments. Hopefully some more people will comment as well.
I have a custom hack that I am running on my PHPBB2 board. Since I didn't need to have 'Code' in my posts, I modified that to be a 'special form of quote'. I would like to bring that across as well.

If the PHPBB Module is close to original PHPBB2 code, that should be straight forward.

In terms of appearance and performance, I think IPB(M) is the best option, however posts conversion will be fun. Thinking about functions, I don't think that my needs would be too difficult for any of the 3 options, as they all do the basics.

I guess my top priority is to provide a good user experience for my visitors. Whatever makes them want to come back, will guide the final decision. Most people are visual, so they want the board to look good, but they also want performance. I think IPBM has a slight lead, but I'm still undecided.

Kerry.

charpres
  • 2003/9/17 5:28

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

If I had a choice, I would use Yabbse. I read somewhere here that someone has or almost has a Yabb module. Anyway, I think the forum that comes with XOOPS is very good. The only change I made was to reduce the graphics (new thread, etc.) by about 50% in PhotoShop. They are way to big.

shivaji
  • 2003/9/18 18:01

• shivaji

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/18

Hi:

I am new member of xoops. Initially I was planning to use e-xoops but there progress end at MODULE integration.

I purchased Invision Board and PHP PhotoPost Pro and I have a users database of more then 1 thousand members. I am ready to use the inbuilt forum of XOOPS (what XOOPS using PHPBB ??) provided I am able to migrate our existing database for which I was worried about :(

Or

is it possible to integrate Invision Board with XOOPS ?

is it possible to integrate PHP PhotoPost Pro with XOOPS ?

I am not sure man and looking for some expert suggestion.

Looking forward to your reply.

-Shivaji.

Herko
  • 2003/9/18 18:26

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

shivaji wrote:
is it possible to integrate Invision Board with XOOPS ?

Koudanshi has made an excellent IPB module for XOOPS. Do a search for that module on this site and you'll find may references to it

Quote:

is it possible to integrate PHP PhotoPost Pro with XOOPS ?

It's the first I hear of this app, so I'm pretty sure it hasn't been ported to XOOPS (yet). If it's a gallery application, then you might want to try the alternatives.. there are a few around.

Herko

MattG
  • 2003/9/18 22:20

• MattG

• Just popping in

I'm fairly new to Xoops, but we are looking at moving from a phpbb2 board to Xoops. I looked around but have been unable to find a phpbb2 module for Xoops, though it sounds like one exists. Can someone show me the light?

Thanks,
-Matt G

MattG
  • 2003/9/18 22:25

• MattG

• Just popping in

nm, I found it. :)

DaBoyz
  • 2003/9/19 9:29

• DaBoyz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/8 1

Quote:
If I had a choice, I would use Yabbse. I read somewhere here that someone has or almost has a Yabb module.

Have a look here ...

Login

Who's Online

123 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 123

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits