davidl2
Re: Proposal for new forum structure on xoops.org: Comments invited.
  • 2007/8/31 12:44

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:

Can we change the discussion to:

1. Who/When is the DNS entry to point forums.xoops.org to xoopsinfo.org going to be made?

AFAIK - this could be done at almost any time... and both urls can and should be used

Quote:

2. What theme is going to be utilized on both sites so that the appearance is the same and seamless to the user?
- see above .. the XI team can change theme quickly ... but Xoops.org needs more work due to its current configuration.

Quote:

The real issue is that the current hardware and configuration of xoops.org is not supportable going forward right? The foundation owns the hardware and the domain name xoopsinfo.org right?

Domain donated via James - and servers ready and waiting for this site to move... as soon as the afore mentioned configuration changes are done (and don't forget a lot of testing was done via James & the Community hammering the new servers not so long ago )

Quote:

So, if it were never presented as "xoopsinfo.org" but rather as the new server hosting the forums then we would not have this discussion? Can we all just think about it like that, stop marketing the "xoopsinfo.org" name and put together the implementation team with an expected completion date?

There has been enough discussion, we need action.

Agreed essentially.... The domain name is mostly irrelevant - the getting things sorted out is the only important issue.

seth_sd
  • 2007/8/31 13:10

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:
agree. But why can't they be seamlessly directed to a forum here on xoops.org? If the forums were clearly defined (the point of this thread), there would be no need to redirect anyone, close anything, or move anything.

That's exactly what I am saying. Change xoopsinfo.org to be forums.xoops.org and that would be your forums. Developers will communicate as they do now on Sourceforge but all other forums will be on "forums.xoops.org". Let's drop the "xoopsinfo.org" and just call it "forums.xoops.org"...Does that make sense?

This is really just solving a technical problem of breaking up the whole of "XOOPS" onto multiple servers to enhance performance as well as easing migration to new hardware by doing it in stages. A solid strategy in my opinion.

Nobody is making money on the deal, nobody is gaining or losing control as far as I can tell. We would all gain by having the proper infrastructure in place to support the community for a while and we can all move on to doing whatver we do best which is hopefully not just discussing simple issues until we're all blue in the face!

At this rate, the new hardware will be obsolete by the time it's implemented in production
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

Peekay
  • 2007/8/31 14:27

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:
Change xoopsinfo.org to be forums.xoops.org and that would be your forums.

The problem is, xoops.org is a massive knowledgbase of information about Xoops. I have over 200 notifications on this site leading to forum posts, news items, module comments. I often refer new users to old posts that I know will help overcome problems.

Conversely, xoopsinfo.org (or whatever you like to call it) has zilch. No knowledgebase and no user base. The odds of having a question seen and answered there is dependent on the few enthusiasts who maintain it.

IMHO this multi-site plan is fragmenting support for XOOPS now and it will only get worse. To follow the 'GI Joe' issue I would need to watch 2 sites and register at Sourceforge too.

To be honest, I fully expected to log in one day to find myself on xoopsinfo.org, with all my notifications to xoops.org intact and xoops.org a 'read-only' archive. I would get a smarter, more efficient support site with no loss of historical data and no need to re-register.

I guess not.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

seth_sd
  • 2007/8/31 15:35

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
Quote:

seth_sd wrote:
Change xoopsinfo.org to be forums.xoops.org and that would be your forums.

The problem is, xoops.org is a massive knowledgbase of information about Xoops. I have over 200 notifications on this site leading to forum posts, news items, module comments. I often refer new users to old posts that I know will help overcome problems.

Conversely, xoopsinfo.org (or whatever you like to call it) has zilch. No knowledgebase and no user base. The odds of having a question seen and answered there is dependent on the few enthusiasts who maintain it.

IMHO this multi-site plan is fragmenting support for XOOPS now and it will only get worse. To follow the 'GI Joe' issue I would need to watch 2 sites and register at Sourceforge too.

To be honest, I fully expected to log in one day to find myself on xoopsinfo.org, with all my notifications to xoops.org intact and xoops.org a 'read-only' archive. I would get a smarter, more efficient support site with no loss of historical data and no need to re-register.

I guess not.

I certainly think you're right there. It doesn't seem unreasonable to think that all user info could be exported to the new forums/community. It just seems that at some point we have to stop talking about the structure of the forums and move forward with utilizing the new hardware and XOOPS configuration.

It just seems like we continuously put the cart before the horse, ask everyone for their opinions, get a 1000 different opinions, implement some change and 999 people are pissed off. At some point, someone has to take charge and put the change in place.

I realize that you understand all of this Peekay.

Seth
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

BlueStocking

Quote:

@SailJapan, Kc0maz, DJ, or anyone who can answer this question.

DOES XOOPS.ORG currently have a backup of xoops.org database that can be made searchable, (and end user accessable) if it isn't already; on another server somewhere? (English language, of course)

BlueStocking
End User rep.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

sailjapan

I'll try and find out for you, Darcy, though I doubt it'd be end-user searchable... privacy laws would probably apply. Or are you referring to the forums database?
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Chappy
  • 2007/9/2 3:23

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

It may or may not have been mentioned...

I don't have time to go through this thread - perhaps as well don't have the patience given the many "mean" XOOPS thread I have read in the past 3 months (I used to visit XOOPS many times a day - now, maybe three times a week - kind of sad as I think about it). Anyway, nice to see a thread actually looking at doing things to meaningfully improve xoops. So, if someplace can be dedicated to the XOOPS community as a whole, maybe regional meetings, the forums in general, php. It may have been intended to inlcude this in the lounge. Just a thought. As I said, it may already have been suggested. Good for whoever did so.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

jayjay
  • 2007/9/2 13:29

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/10

Quote:

sailjapan wrote:
Great input one and all. Really!

So if the portal model were to be pursued (bear in mind kc0maz and I are only the messengers) , which theme would people suggest? It should probably be based on the latest "Mor.Pho.GEN.e.sis", wouldn't you say?

Yes indeed, the theme should be based on Morphogenesis. Portal site members should start talking themes and site structure right way to avoid any further confusion.

If XOOPS sites are taking this multi-site direction, then a way should be found to avoid needless fragmentation.

This is what I propose:
- XOOPS portal sites should share the same USER database. I don't want to register 5 times on 5 different sites to interact with other xoopsers.
- The search function on the portal sites should also search the other portal sites! I don't know how this can be achieved, but it would be a great plus.

Basically I'm suggesting to build five different portal subsites (this may increase speed dramatically on xoops.org) and make them interact as if it were one big site.

Peekay
  • 2007/9/2 14:08

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

jayjay wrote:

Basically I'm suggesting to build five different portal subsites (this may increase speed dramatically on xoops.org) and make them interact as if it were one big site.

You mean like this?. That thread dates back to March 2007. I can refer you to it because it is in my notifications... which illustrates my point. If I was forced to post that comment on one of 5 sub-sites, then how am I supposed to find it?

The multi-site plan = worse support, no matter what 'theme' you choose.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

kc0maz
  • 2007/9/2 14:53

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:

Peekay wrote:

The multi-site plan = worse support, no matter what 'theme' you choose.

I agree and disagree. A theme does not make support better or worse.

Having five different sub-sites could enhance specialized support, only if there was a central site that could search all the sub-sites, and a centralized user database, However, the community is not ready for that level of support, yet. Eventually I would like see something like specialized sub-sites established.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits