wcrwcr
Re: x_movie module installation help
  • 2007/6/19 17:22

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Hi x_moviers

well regarding the "fsockopen()" after almost a week I?ve received a message from the host company telling me that the function is unavailable due to security reasons, so I can?t use this feature (url) within x_movie.

Maybe some smart coder could point us a nice workaraound.

Any tip guys?

Thanks

@ n01un0

tottaly agree with you

optikool
  • 2007/6/20 18:26

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/3/26

Hi wcrwcr,

I use the embed feature to embed all my movies, even the ones located on my server. I haven't had a problem with it so far as long as I strip out the <object></object> tags and just only add everything inside the <embed></embed> tags. I tried adding a youtube video to test out someone else problem and found out it is in fact broken. I don't use youtube video because of the poor quality and instead use the videos from stage6, so I was only concerned with making divx movies work on my server and on stage6. But now trying to make youtube work had sparked my curiosity. Reading through the code got pretty irritating, I'm not sure why the original coder of this module didn't use templates instead of echoing mostly everything. I'm almost tempted to rewrite this module and separate the html from the php code but I promised my wife I would made a baby registry module for her site, so I will look at that first. I would like to see a feature of where you can specify the video dimensions when you submit a movie while at the same time having a pre defines dimension that will can be used to resize the video while at the same time maintaining aspect ratio. I want to incorporate the getid3 function to automatically get dimensions of video files that are uploaded and for embeded links have the user specify the dimension or parse the embed link that the user gives. If you are already doing this then excellent. :)

optikool
  • 2007/6/20 20:41

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

Hey wcrwcr,

Looking at the function, fsockopen, you mentioned... Looking at what calls this code and what the end result is it looks like that function just makes an attempt to retrieve the thumbnail from the site (youtube, stage6, etc). Is this a fair assessment? If that's the case you should be able to get away with just using a test to see if the function returns false or not and doing something else if it does.

Oddly enough when I tried to embed another youtube video I didn't get the error that a previous poster mentioned. This might be because of an issue in tpl_imgtype.php where it was trying to access Snoopy.php intead of snoopy.php.

optikool
  • 2007/6/26 5:57

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

n01un0 wrote:
Ok, this is all starting to get a bit confusing and frustrating at the same time.

Can we get a conclusive version of this module with all the bugs fixed and working.

I started out with gestroud's version which worked and then moved to "x_movie v1.7 - custom v2.3 English" which was even better but there were issue's with certain functions just not working for me when I chose them in the admin section (using 2.2.4).

I then tried the one that test1000 posted "x_moviee1.0final.zip" which is obviously not the final.

While some things were corrected over the previous, there are more bugs in this one than the other.

Now that there seems to be some changes at hand for the direction of XOOPS and everyone volunteering to progress it, can someone adopt this module and get a correct ENGLISH version with all the bugs worked out (for 2.2.4).

It would be nice to have a nice working video module for xoops.

Also, if someone decides to adopt this, can you add a function to automatically add the video thumbnail since it is always (for youtube) "http://img.youtube.com/vi/VIDEONUMBERHERE/2.jpg"

Also, a nice "front page" with a consolidated view of all the videos with ratings, hits ect, would be nice.
I still use my modified xf-section for movie's which seems to work great and has a good consolidated front page but yet it lacks some of the features that are in x_movie that I like.

Sorry for the ranting. Just frustrated.

BTW, if someone could take a php script that I am testing on another site and create a module, I'm using a GREAT
php script for videos by waxjelly.

Example of it is here

Just a thought

Can someone list all the errors they are having with this module? The only thing I've noticed so far is if you choose auto for the image upload it errors out. I'm not sure why I would choose auto but I'm sure it's there for a reason. If anybody is interested I have a version I've been working on located on my site www.optikool.com. I'm still working on it and as I find new bugs I fix them. However I probably don't use half the features so I'm not sure if I get them all. A list of issue would be nice to have though. One thing thats different with my version is the ability to add the screen size so you maintain aspect ratio. Being able to set a default screen size is nice but being able to resize your video to meet that requirement while maintaining it's ratio is better. :)

BroHam
  • 2007/6/26 16:35

• BroHam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/31

Quote:
Can someone list all the errors they are having with this module? The only thing I've noticed so far is if you choose auto for the image upload it errors out. I'm not sure why I would choose auto but I'm sure it's there for a reason.

Using auto inserts the generic image associated with the type of movie being played. For instance, if I url or embed a Youtube movie, and I choose auto for image, a generic Youtube image is used. I have not had any timeout issues with auto, so that is interesting.

Optikool, is your version available for dl on your site? I do not see it available. I did see your module playing divx stage6 vids, and I would like mine to do the same. I am not able to embed or url that type.
I don't know.

optikool
  • 2007/6/26 18:31

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

BroHam wrote:
Quote:
Can someone list all the errors they are having with this module? The only thing I've noticed so far is if you choose auto for the image upload it errors out. I'm not sure why I would choose auto but I'm sure it's there for a reason.

Using auto inserts the generic image associated with the type of movie being played. For instance, if I url or embed a Youtube movie, and I choose auto for image, a generic Youtube image is used. I have not had any timeout issues with auto, so that is interesting.

Optikool, is your version available for dl on your site? I do not see it available. I did see your module playing divx stage6 vids, and I would like mine to do the same. I am not able to embed or url that type.

That might have just been that one instance, and maybe I had the thumb directory permission set incorrect. It was also late in the evening and I was in a hurry. I will look at it again. I just uploaded my version on my site. You can get it here... www.optikool.com

BroHam
  • 2007/6/26 18:38

• BroHam

• Just popping in

Thanks, I'll install it later on...

Do you plan to continue work on this module, since you mentioned other releases in your download description?

Thanks again for the dl.
I don't know.

optikool
  • 2007/6/26 18:42

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

Yes, there are some things that I would like to see, like being able to modify more pieces of a movie that was uploaded and also any problems I run across I will try and fix.

BroHam
  • 2007/6/26 20:35

• BroHam

• Just popping in

Would it be possible for me to do a clean install but preserve the few movies I already have in the database? So, if I uninstalled my current version and installed yours, could I drop and/or add something in MySql afterwards to have the movies? Dumb question? Thanks.
I don't know.

optikool
  • 2007/6/26 21:39

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

You can export the tables if you have phpmysqladmin and import them after. You will still need to add the dimension for each movie in the database if you want them to appear correctly. I believe the default is set to 0.

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits