kc0maz
Re: [XoopsTeam] report - Forum Moderator - status
  • 2007/6/15 12:56

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:

Quote:
How about a compromise? We could probably change the "Who is online" box to either add a [Mod] tag or show the mods in color or both. So you can still quickly find one if online but at the same time we are not hiding.

Think that would be acceptable?

Can we please have some feedback on this idea?

+1

I like this idea on a couple of different ways.

First we know at a glance that a moderator is online.
Second, it prevents moderators from hiding behind user names. If there is some abuse happening It is always good to name the abuser.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

hackbrill
  • 2007/6/15 13:05

• hackbrill

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/7/14

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
I think identifying mods online is a good idea. I also agree that it would be useful to anonymise them a bit (mod 1 etc) - this would depersonalise moderation issues.

+1

But, I feel that using "color" as outlined in the following quote would be the better option.

Quote:
How about a compromise? We could probably change the "Who is online" box to either add a [Mod] tag or show the mods in color or both. So you can still quickly find one if online but at the same time we are not hiding.

sailjapan

My only concern with using a regular nik for moderators would be that if s/he wanted to get partisan on some topic, everyone would assume that they were talking as a mod.

When I go to work I put on a suit and tie (well, I don't but some do), when I discuss beers with the boys, I don't.

If a mod could log in either as "Bob" or "Bob the Mod" then maybe that would allow them a bit of freedom.

Are mods supposed to be wearing their mod-cap everytime they log in? Grief, how sad if that's the case. No chance to express an opinion, everyone watching their Ps & Qs when ever they're in a forum with you. Bit like being a copper, but at least coppers get to take their uniforms off at weekends...

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

kc0maz
  • 2007/6/15 15:46

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:

sailjapan wrote:
Are mods supposed to be wearing their mod-cap everytime they log in? Grief, how sad if that's the case. No chance to express an opinion, everyone watching their Ps & Qs when ever they're in a forum with you. Bit like being a copper, but at least coppers get to take their uniforms off at weekends...

Crip

I am going to take some issue with the last statement. A cop is a cop, 24/7/365. I just had a very lengthly discussion about this very topic with my sheriff, and his cyber-deputy. That means they always obey and enforce the laws. however, They do get time off to be a person.

When they are 'on-duty' they are investigating, actively looking for law breakers, and preforming other official duties. When they are 'off-duty' they doing normal things, like housework, fishing, watching a movie, etc. If they see a crime happening they are required to take some action. I live in a small town, and everyone knows Mike, John, Mary and Megan as the cops. We also know how to respect their 'off-duty' time.

How this applies to the moderators is very simple. If while trolling the forums a moderators spots some spam, or other infraction, they take action to remove it. When they are on-duty, they are looking for threads that need to be closed or actively responding to requests from the users. As I understand from this thread, the current moderators are already doing this.

Having a moderator and non-moderator log-in may help. I disagree with having usernames like Moderator 1, etc. Then the question becomes who was moderator 1 when this action was done? I wouldn't be opposed to have each moderator be assigned a moderator username, so long as it is transparent, and every one know that Moderator 1 is really davidl2 or whoever. (I know that davidl2 is no longer a moderator, I just used his name as an example.) Having the moderator sign or color or what ever, tells those on-line that if you have a problem you can come to me.

I hope all of this make some sense.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

sailjapan

Quote:

kc0maz wrote:
A cop is a cop, 24/7/365. I just had a very lengthly discussion about this very topic with my sheriff, and his cyber-deputy. That means they always obey and enforce the laws. however, They do get time off to be a person.

>snip<

Having a moderator and non-moderator log-in may help. I disagree with having usernames like Moderator 1, etc. Then the question becomes who was moderator 1 when this action was done? I wouldn't be opposed to have each moderator be assigned a moderator username, so long as it is transparent, and every one know that Moderator 1 is really davidl2 or whoever. (I know that davidl2 is no longer a moderator, I just used his name as an example.) Having the moderator sign or color or what ever, tells those on-line that if you have a problem you can come to me.

I hope all of this make some sense.

Fair comment (hope you weren't having one of those discussions with your sheriff).

So, a permanent marker showing the mod as being such. Suppose that's the best way all things considered.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

BlueStocking

The reason I suggested the moderator-1 etc., is because some of the indentifiable moderators have been to outspoken and made some enemies. They are good people just have personality conflicts with some other good people.

I like Jen, she may even have had a moderator point about caps, but I am more inclined to believe it was me she had the problem with than the caps issue I was using for emphysis. Never the less, Jen, went from just being Jen in a post to moderator correcting my use of caps for emphysis instead of bold or color or underline. Frankly that is petty, and just a moderators personal preference.
I would rather a moderator just fix the caps and let the conversation go on. And I would rather NOT think Jen was petty.

Jen, and anyone else with moderator privledges could log in both as moderator and as their personal nick. They could handle ALL MODERATOR BUSINESS with the Moderator handle and all personal opinion and help under their own nick. ... there is those nasty caps again. I just can't seem to break the habit, and I don't see any rules saying it is unacceptable.

It certainly is not unacceptable to me.

BlueStockings.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

hackbrill
  • 2007/6/15 17:21

• hackbrill

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/7/14

Once again, Bluestockings clears up the muck.

Moderators are easily identified by the Moderator designation in the Forum Index within each forum.

The Moderator for this particular Forum:

Moderator phppp

Moderators for XOOPS.org Member Lounge:

Moderator Bender bluenova JMorris smdcom gediminasbyt

Now just look at the "Who's Online" block to see if any of these particular Moderators are logged in and online.

They don't have to be colored or marked to easily find one.

Granted, the Moderator designation in the Forum Index would have to be kept updated.

As far as figuring out who did what...this shouldn't even be a question if they stick with the rules and keep the personalities out of it.

Login

Who's Online

249 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 249

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits