solo71
Re: [BETA] multiMenu 1.8, when mm goes dynamics
  • 2006/3/27 9:46

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Ok, I understand what you mean. Unfortunatly, I don't think I'll make it configurable for the following reasons.

1) There are already plenty configuration possibilities in the blocks settings.

2) I don't like the idea to have just one config settings, for just one specific menu (imagine what would be the default block config pannel if I used to have one or more for each and everyone.) Some people are confused enough with everyting which is already in.

3) The module has entered in his RC stage, which means that we don't want to make further big changes. I think we have worked enough on it so far, and it finally needs to be published. We are currently finalising the context menu and the documentation (traduction, verification, etc.).

4) Templates are developped on purpose for such modification. I think at this stage, it's up to the webmaster to tweak the code to his likeness.

All this doesn't mean I couldn't take in account your request for a futur release. All suggestions are always welcome, as you know. Hope you understand my position.

barryc
  • 2006/3/27 16:04

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I understand completely and I had thought of the problem of a configuration that is specific to one type of submenu only.

I am, of course, willing to tweak my templates (to the best of my ability). It would be helpful to know which of the template files is used by switch vertical/permanent sublinks.

As always, and I really mean it, I appreciate the effort you guys put into this module.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

blueteen
  • 2006/3/27 16:22

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/16

hello !
you can find the template's name for the switch vertical menu here :

http://your_website/modules/multiMenu/admin/info.php?op=help&Help=06

(multiMenu help)

in the RC2's version (comming soon), templates are renamed.

barryc
  • 2006/3/27 16:38

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Thanks. I'll probably wait until the release version to try this, but I appreciate the indication of the file names and where to find them.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

barryc
  • 2006/3/28 23:49

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

One more "problem" that I'd like to ask help on. This is not a bug, but just an issue with formatting horizontal menus to be included in the theme.html file.

I have inserted the correct code and set up MM05 to show in my theme, and it does so. The problem I'm having is getting the correct formatting. If I am seeing correctly how it works, MM creates a table that is inserted where the line of code is placed. The problem for me is getting the spacing of those tables to be appropriate. Link names are spread across the width of the window. I would prefer them to be clustered together in the center of the table. This becomes more of a problem if one has some menu items that are visible only to select groups, so that the number of menu items appearing at the top of the page can vary. Ideally I'd rather just have the links created without the table structure, so that I could insert them within an existing table cell. This would also elminate the "dead space" below the menu items that is created by the inserted table.

I've played with theme/multimenu.php to try to influence the formatting of the table, but with little luck. You can see my best effort so far at a MM horizontal array of links on barryc.net. Here I've put <div align="center"><div> around each menu item but left multimenu.php alone.

The effect I'm trying to mimic can be seen on www.aka.org. These are hard coded links all within one <td></td>.

I suspect that Solo and blueteen are tired of hearing from me and I apologize for being a nuisance. I realize that they are close to finalizing this version of MM. However, if anyone can suggest a method to achieve what I want I'd be very grateful.

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

blueteen
  • 2006/3/29 4:57

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

hello
don't worry, we are not so tired ;)
i looked at your websites, but it seems that all links are hard coded on these 2 websites.
can you send us screenshot of the problem ?
then we will look at the code more closely.
@++

barryc
  • 2006/3/29 17:54

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

You guys are great! I don't know what ordinary XOOPS users like myself would do without you.

On barryc.net (my test site) and aka.org (my live site) the top menu bars that are positioned between the header box and the main content, are dynamically generated by MM 1.8. You can see these even when not logged on, but you can't see the MM 1.8 menus on the left as they are visible only to webmaster at present.

The visibility of items in the top menu bar, based on group membership, works well. I think this is a HUGE feature for MM 1.8. On our site, we have items, such as voting, that should be immediately visible, but only to club members.

The problem I'm having is simply one of spacing. If you look at barryc.net you will see what the menu looks like with the code inserted into a table cell such that it appears between the upper and lower blue-lined boxes. The problem is partly due to the fact that mm/theme/multimenu.php calculates cell width based on the number of items (i.e. cells). The items are also spread across the full width of the window.

Here is the original header menu from aka.org. It was hard coded into a single table cell with space-bullet-space separating the items. Note the even spacing of items and bullet spacers. This is what I'm trying to mimic using MM 1.8 dynamic menus.

http://www.barryc.net/menu_orig.html

Below is a similar menu using MM 1.8, with user not logged on.

http://www.barryc.net/menu_MM18.html

Here I have changed theme/multimenu.php to use cell widths of "auto" rather than calculated widths. This seems better for variable length menu items. I have also added a <td></td> on either side of the menus (in multimenu.php) to act as padding. Finally, I entered Category type menu items containing only space-bullet-space to act as separators. You can see that the spacing is not ideal.

Below is the same thing with user logged on:

http://www.barryc.net/menu_MM18_logged.html

You can see more menu items and it looks reasonable, except that the spacing between menu items is not quite right.

What I think would work well is if MM 1.8 generated a table containing the menu items using auto width cells and including a spacer (bullets or |) between cells. This should produce even spacing. I would like to see the items centered such that they appear "clustered" in the center of the horizontal menu. For example, imagine that my header had 3 items for anon users and 7 for registered users. I'd like to see the 3 items for anon centers as a centered group in the header bar. Then, when the user logs on, 7 items would appear, also centered, all these separated by the spacer. That is, the centered menu would expand, leaving an even amount of space at each end.

I realize that there may be differences between themes that affect this. In my case the code is inserted into a table cell. That might not always be the case.

One other thing: adding {alt} with text after a menu item name does not seem to work when the menu is displayed as a horizontal menu via one's theme. The {alt}Text appears in the menu on the page. If one doesn't include an {alt} statement, a pop up box does appear on mouse over, holding the same text as the menu name.

I hope all this clarifies what I am getting at re menus. I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I explained carefully.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

barryc
  • 2006/3/30 0:23

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Here's another thing that I just noticed that might be a bug. I have several menus operational, namely mm01,02,03,04,05,06, 08. 01, 02, 03, 06 and 08 are all set in prefs to show in the index page (i.e. the site map). The header info for menus 01, 02, and 03 show (with the name I've set and the edit icon). The header does not show for menus 06 and 08. I temporarily turned on all the menus to show in the index page and the headers all show correctly. When I again turned off 04, 05, 07 the header for 06 no longer shows. It seems that if one menu is set to not show, those after it lose the header.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

blueteen
  • 2006/3/30 5:38

• blueteen

• Quite a regular

ok, good description of your problem

i'v logged into your website.
and activated multimenu05 (you can see it at the bottom of the index's page).

can you send me your theme's folder ? (maybe create an ftp access to theme's folder only ?)

i would like to see which operations you made on the theme.
i'll try to insert this menu into the theme myself, and will compare the result.

{alt}'s tag works on the block (mm05) at the bottom of the page (look at home's link).

barryc
  • 2006/3/30 7:07

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I have PMed you with username and password to FTP to my themes folder on barryc.net. It is the same one I use on my live site, aka.org.

I see that you created a block for MM05 and, yes, the menu looks fine in a block. The problem occurs for me only when I try to insert the code for the menu in my theme. The {alt} tags do work in blocks. But look now at the horizontal menu at the top of the page. The {alt} tag and its text appear in the menu.

By the way, you can log onto www.aka.org with user name blueteen and the password I gave you for FTP. You will see the menu system I have set up using MM 1.8 for my live site. The existing Main Menu is also still visible, as I won't go live with the MM version until the final 1.8 is released. I made a special group for a few people to evaluate the "new look menus". It will give you an idea of what I've done. Everything is working well except for my little spacing problem with the horizontal menu in the theme.

If you do log on, look at the Site Menu and you'll see what I mean about the header not showing in the last column. It should have a header "AKA Programs".

Regards,

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Login

Who's Online

285 user(s) are online (187 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 285

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits