aharon
Re: [myMEDIA] Test my new media manager module
  • 2005/6/12 23:06

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/17

Sounds very promising, though it is still very hard to test the module as it does not seem to show up... ;)

Aharon

toddherrold

Aharon - I don't have any problems getting the module to show up. I think you must not be uploading it correctly.

Solo - I am now testing your latest version. The images are now working properly, though I still changed the /3 to /2 to make them a bit bigger and also added a "paragraph" break between the listings to make them easier to read.

Question: How difficult would it be to make the list generate in 2 or 3 columns? My list is getting too long.

The mediasize.php options are great, though I changed mine to the following, which I think are more standard for a site that is defaulted to 800 pixels wide, like mine tries to be:

Quote:
if ( $myrow['media_size'] == 'default' ) {$media_size = ''; }
if ( $myrow['media_size'] == 'tv_small' ) {$media_size = 'width = "320" height="240"'; $width_s = "320"; $height_s = "240"; }
if ( $myrow['media_size'] == 'tv_medium' ) {$media_size = 'width = "480" height="360"'; $width_s = "480"; $height_s = "360"; }
if ( $myrow['media_size'] == 'tv_big' ) {$media_size = 'width = "600" height="450"'; $width_s = "600"; $height_s = "450"; }

if ( $myrow['media_size'] == 'mv_small' ) {$media_size = 'width = "320" height="180"'; $width_s = "320"; $height_s = "180"; }
if ( $myrow['media_size'] == 'mv_medium' ) {$media_size = 'width = "480" height="270"'; $width_s = "480"; $height_s = "270"; }
if ( $myrow['media_size'] == 'mv_big' ) {$media_size = 'width = "640" height="360"'; $width_s = "640"; $height_s = "360"; }

One bug I noticed so far, is that the media doesn't play automatically in the page when the menu and content blocks are activated in the right column (like random, recent, top, etc.). In the previous version, this was not a problem and they do play normally in this version when the blocks are not active.

Otherwise, so far so good! Thanks for your efforts on this module.

solo71
  • 2005/6/16 14:43

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Thanks for the report and the tips.

Will see what I can do.

toddherrold

Having another thought about the page list categorization scheme. Earlier I had asked about putting these in more than one column so that the page doesn't get too long. Now, I'm realizing that it would also be nice to have them show up in a way that makes it more obvious what are primary pages and which are actual clips. For example, I am using 4 individual pages just for categorization purposes. Then I link the clip pages to one of these four. But in the pages list at the bottom, it shows one long list which includes the category pages as well as the clip pages and it becomes difficult for the user to tell which is which. If they mistake a category page for a clip page, then they will jump to that page with different clips? It's potentially confusing.

So I also wonder how difficult it would be be show the pages list in a manner which is more consistent with the way that the user navigates?

solo71
  • 2005/10/14 12:42

• solo71

• Module Developer

Back to this project. Thanks for your patience guys.

Please feel free to test >>> myMedia<<<

This is the latest version. With some new little features :-- some bug corrections,
- up to 6 predefined media size + 1 customisable,
- a downloadable media option,
- loop play or not option.
- display more informations about media hosted on the same server (i.e. its size weight).

Regarding the media listing, the list is now actually displaying only childs pages, and displaying in columns with the 'number of media per page' (see settings) option.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Please let me know about it.

toddherrold

will try it out, thanks!

toddherrold

So far so good. The module is coming along nicely!

A couple of thoughts:

1. Categories: I'm ok with setting up top level pages as categories and then linking the other pages below this, but is there a way to get the top level pages to NOT show up in the latest and random media blocks? Because I do not put any media file on the top level pages, when they show up in the blocks, they obviously don't link to anything in the popup. I'm still feeling that I would prefer a more standard categorization scheme for this module - seems cleaner.

2. Member uploads: One key feature of my current video section (wfdownloads) is that users can upload their own content. This is a critical feature for me, but I don't want to allow users to get into the backend admin section of my site. Not sure if this can be done yet in mymedia?

3. Media list: I have tons of videos on my site in about 5 categories. So, if I were to use mymedia, I would need the media lists at the bottom of the page to show up in more than one column in order to save space and limit vertical scrolling. Some greater templating on this could do the trick.

4. Inline page display: When I first installed and tested, the media would play in the page. Then something happened and now it only will play as popup. When I change in settings to play in page, there are no links. Only when I set it to Popup does it play.

5. Downloads: This also was working initially but now has disappeared eventhough I have it set to allow downloads in the settings.

PHP debug on a video page yields only notices:
Quote:
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: width_pop in file modules/myMedia/blocks/content.php line 150
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: height_pop in file modules/myMedia/blocks/content.php line 150
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: media in file modules/myMedia/content.php line 95
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: width_pop in file modules/myMedia/content.php line 124
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: height_pop in file modules/myMedia/content.php line 124

Xetox
  • 2005/11/7 21:09

• Xetox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/10/28

I am trying it out know, I cant get it to look like you have in on wolfsite.

Can you show me a printout of your settings?

mkabwilliams

Is there a memebers upload feature?

solo71
  • 2005/12/13 18:50

• solo71

• Module Developer

As reminder this module is still in development.

As for member upload, no, and it's not planed.

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits