Is the contest gone down ???
Or is someone working on it???

vinit
Re: Can we run a theme contest?
  • 2004/12/8 8:44

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

Can anyone post any updates in relate to this contest?

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/8 9:37

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

I am not sure about the contest, but I can update you on the Theme Forge activities.

We are currently putting the team together that will build the forge. I guess, once we have the Theme Forge in place and active, we can start talking again about the contest. As brash noted, currently there aren't many with the skill set and knowledge, able to create themes worth rating.

Having this said, there is still much to be clarified regarding this idea.

Currently we only have Jmorris's suggestion up for debate, with little feedback (look who's talking ).

Quote:

Artistic Impression: Emphasis on artistry, uniqueness, graphic design, and creative use of CSS. Themes *should* still be XHTML/CSS compliant and cross browser compatible. Lower penalties for large file size and resolution limitations.

Technical Proficiency: Emphasis on standards compliance, documentation, cross browser compatibility, 800x600dpi min. compatibility, and clean, uncluttered code. Must include matching template set. Lower penalties for plain appearance, but should still be aesthetically appealing.

Rising Stars: Emphasis on newcomers and best effort. Themes *should* be XHTML/CSS compliant (consideration is given to good themes that are close, but not quite compliant) and should not be submitted by anyone who has already submitted under the other two categories (this is just fair). Extra points are awarded to those themes that meet any of the criteria specified under the other two categories.

Common to all: Themes MUST be original! Penalties for "hack" jobs. Themes must be 2/3 column compatible. Themes must come from 1 individual (no team projects).

Regarding what I said above, I believe the third cat (rising star) is a must, and a reason why we should wait until the forge is running.

The contest could be a way of acknowledging forge members efforts (be it individuals or groups). Especially those aspiring dev's!

Hence my first suggestion, two top categories:

(1) Teams Contributions
(2) Individual Contributions
with
(1)|(2)-a: Creativety
Which is the most creative and artistic impressive theme? Might be fixed theme, not compatable with 800px, use of tables allowed, and doesn't have to validate. Emphasis is fully on visiual impression.
(1)|(2)-b: Technical Beauty
Theme has to validate XHTML1.0 and CSS, be viewable with 800px monitors, work with 1/2/3 collumns, be original in its use of colours and images (but doesn't have to give the woowww-effekt thats what the Creativety cat is for ).

Giving us 4 categories, which is sufficient at the beginning. Maybe once the forge community is thriving, we can think about addictional categories like gaming site themes, busines-site themes, etc. Right now, we just have enough designers to make a 4 cat comp of any interest.

Each of the above cat's would have a Runners Up (something like a silver medall), and a Rising Star (mentioning of a newstarter, that has made a contribution worth mentioning).

The later showing the need of this price to be related with the forge, as how are we otherwise to judge, how well someone has done relatively?

What we need to work out now, is a rating system. Penalty points have been mentioned...a point system might do the trick. Though on what and how to give out points? And what should be penalized? This needs to be clarified for each cat.

And who is going to judge? Especially as theme forge members, especially those heavily involved, will most likely want to participate. I would like to see a mixture of community polling and pro input. Maybe we could get some non-xoops web designers, that are generally interested in design advancement, to give us some of their time and expertise, to act as judges....or am I just dreaming too much....well, this would also give us 8 main prices and 8 runner ups.....that might just be the whole designer community

Well I'm just writing this up, so that discussion might continue.

All other questions, sponsorship, timesetting, can be handled later on...

jmass
  • 2004/12/8 19:39

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

How about sparking the theme forge with a contest!!!

All themes, including the winner need to go to the public.

My company would be happy to help sponser such a contest. Admins, if interested please contact me.

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/8 20:48

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

It may be a good idea, to use a contest for the opening of the forge....I will keep this in the back of my mind...

Herko
  • 2004/12/8 20:55

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I'll get working on the Theme Contest as discussed in this thread soon (for the XOOPS package, and if it's good enough, the new XOOPS Default Theme?). I hope to have some time for this come friday. Stay tuned (and give me friendly reminders if you don't hear from me!)

Herko

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/8 21:07

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

Let's work together on this Herko.....I want to see this as part of the Theme Forge project, please post all your thoughts and efforts on the forge discussion list... t

jmass
  • 2004/12/8 21:14

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I started a new Forum thread indicating that I am planning on moving forward with this. If you guys do get off your @#$$ (I mean find time in your busy schedules ) I would be happy to help with one unified contest rather than doing my own.

Please keep me in the loop.

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/8 21:25

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

I don't like this.....why not work with those that are putting effort in...we have gotten of our asses, and some of us are putting quite some effort in...please contact those involved...

JMorris
  • 2004/12/8 22:14

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Regardless of who puts on the contest, what the prize is, or how the particulars are spelled out, I'd really like to see this contest go through. Not so much for my benefit as I'm not that good of a designer (wouldn't know my way around Photoshop if you were to draw a map). It's more for the benefit of XOOPS as a whole. There are some really good themes out there for Xoops, but quite frankly, most of the 200+ themes I've looked at are just another so-so theme. Ideally, I'd like to see this contest produce inovative themes that make the best of Mambo's theme's look borring.

The suggestions I put out there are just that, suggestions. I *do* believe that there should be seperate categories to even the playing field, though. I know I certainly wouldn't want to be up against StudioC or Incama, if I decided to compete. That would be real embarrassing for me. ::shudders::

Anyways, my point..... Just do it. There's nothing saying that it has to be a one-time thing. If the first one doesn't go "perfectly", take two steps back, regroup and try again. It's just a contest, not rocket science.

Oh, one last *suggestion*... Keep money out of it. Money has an uncanny knack for screwing up a good thing. This should be about contributing to Xoops, not money! Besides, if your theme wins, the recognition you will recieve will most likely generate more than a couple freelance prospects.

Ok, I'm done babbling now.

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits