Chainsaw
Re: I'll Write the Manual
  • 2004/4/19 8:48

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

I started reading at the beginning and thought, hey I could help the guy out, then as I went down the thread, so did my respect for him.

So, nope, no help for people who don't know how to phrase their sentences politely.

You don't storm into a public library, start throwing a tantrum because you are an experienced book reader, but found the book classification at this library very confusing and began to berate each person that step up to assist you. Not only that, each sentences is basically ME ME ME!!! And if you can't help ME ME ME then its pox on YOU!

So in summary, yes you are right, I can see and agree that XOOPS is not for you. You better uninstall it.

Mithrandir

Quote:

ricland wrote:
Writing a manual isn't rocket science. Provide me with the raw data and I'll write the manual for you, in a week. Compile all those posts you say are in the archive and email them to me, section by section.

OK, so basically all we have to do is weed through several thousand posts to find the good ones, email them to you and you will write a manual?
If it was so easy, pal/friend/other patronizing term, it would have been done from the very start.

It just so happens that there are a lot of people around here, who are very much interested in what the system can do that they ask for new features, bugfixes, make hacks, which could be implemented. Doesn't leave much time for documentation WHICH HOWEVER IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING MADE.

There are about 5 core developers, a couple of handfuls of module developers (who are also mainly interested in adding functionality to match the other CMS's) and a bunch of documentation people, who are working on the very thing you request.

Now, if you can't be arsed to actually read the responses and act in an orderly fashion, I would say that we are better off without you. Your points are valid and there are people working on it, but it's not done by tomorrow.

Join the documentation team or do it yourself if you want - but please stop slacking off the people, who have made it all possible in the first place.

ricland
  • 2004/4/19 13:09

• ricland

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/15

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
It seems you have made up your mind about us, and there is no way we can change that. We're not running away from documentation, although I must admit this used to be the case and still is the case for a large part of the developer documentation. But user docs -no. It's very easy to discard all the work the docs team is doing and saying you'll do it all yourself. If you're so great, then you should have been able to understand XOOPS's trappings and inner workings easily. What it comes down to is the quality standard we uphold, and if you don't feel up to that, then fine.

It seems you are bent on doing it all by yourself, and you're free to do so. But don't demand any help from us if you're not willing to join the team. So stop offending people here and do what you feel is best. But don't bother us with your petty opinions about our motivations and work again.

Herko

Sure, I've made up my mind about you fellows, and that's because what's happening here is as plain as the nose on your faces. Two things, really. First: The reason you give for not having a proper manual/tutorial is false.

Second: you've created a tautology as a defense for not writing a proper manual/tutorial.

This happens in life even among scientists, so don't tell me it can't happen here. I may be wrong about the reason why you've created this tautology, but I'm not wrong that it exists here (the tautology).

I've been attacked en mass. The official reason is that I have a nasty attitude; the real reason, however, is that I speak the truth: there's no logical reason for not having a tutorial/manual, none whatsoever.

I was working with XOOPS last night and it's ridiculous. All I wanted to do was shift blocks around, put the main menu block first. Well, I couldn't figure out how to do it. I knew there was a very simple way to do it, but I couldn't figure it out. That's when I got mad all over again. Ok, I'm stupid -- but XOOPS should be for stupid people too!

Get this concept if you don't get anything else: if you write applications for the general public, assume you're writing it for a stupid person not geeks!

Has the product been tested on stupid people? Why not? Don't you realize there are far more stupid people in the world than geeks?

But this isn't what you fellows have done. The shortcuts you take are incredible. XOOPS is a geek IQ test, anyone who doesn't pass is driven away.

Geeks do things like that. They develop their own little clique. Often they're not aware they're doing it. Geeks can take over a product meant for the masses and turn it into a geek toy. This has happened with several cms. Typo3 is this way now. In order to find anything out you have to hire a "consultant."

This must be resisted. This can kill any chance a application has of reaching the masses. Don't believe the geeks when they tell you a tutorial is not needed. They do not have your interest at heart.

You must understand what's really happening here. XOOPS can break from the pack and be really big if you don't allow geeks to keep it crippled.

ricland

Tautology: 1a. Needless repetition of the same sense in different words; redundancy. b. An instance of such repetition. 2. Logic An empty or vacuous statement composed of simpler statements in a fashion that makes it logically true whether the simpler statements are factually true or false; for example, the statement Either it will rain tomorrow or it will not rain tomorrow.

Mithrandir

Quote:
I've been attacked en mass. The official reason is that I have a nasty attitude; the real reason, however, is that I speak the truth: there's no logical reason for not having a tutorial/manual, none whatsoever.

Which part of the sentence telling you that our documentation team is working on a user manual didn't you understand?

We agree with you that there is a lack of documentation - you are very welcome to join that team.

Stop bitching and start doing something constructive.

ricland
  • 2004/4/19 17:35

• ricland

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/15

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Quote:

Which part of the sentence telling you that our documentation team is working on a user manual didn't you understand?

We agree with you that there is a lack of documentation - you are very welcome to join that team.

Stop bitching and start doing something constructive.

Fair enough.

How do I join the team?

ricland

ajaxbr
  • 2004/4/20 2:34

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

Ok, I wrote this last night but I believe it still applies... I hope this ends well
ricland, please take no offense in this and please please please try not to offend all these hardworking XOOPS dudes. It isn't that hard, you know?

---------------

Hi there, ric.

Can you please be a bit more polite? You bring many important points up, but you screw up big time bullying and barking like this . It's easy to imagine scenarios in which you are either very happy or very angry with XOOPS docs this time next year and nobody cares to read or reply to your posts due to your delivery.

Now, lemme try to give you some directions on how to get this work done (and hopefully a better understanding of what goes on here and in OSS in general)

First off, you can simply get the relevant material you need from the forums, from comments inside .php files, modules' readme files, the wiki (I've just tried to fit all the wiki based info in one big page... not very successful, but makes it easier for you anyway), mailing lists, published document(s), other information sources such as the All about XOOPS link over there. If you'd rather have this compiled, either wait for someone with enough free time to do so to volunteer or add a couple of days to your Tutorial/Manual schedule and compile it yourself.

Then you can focus on writing. You should try write material that's useful for all XOOPS's users, from UbberGeeks to AOLers and from first timers to XOOPS hackers. That is, it should ideally be a good introduction, reference, tutorial and whatnot. It's up to you to decide whether a "What is a CMS?" and/or a "Extending objects" section would fit in your doc, but rest assured that literally thousands of users will read it and some dozens will give you feedback. And a couple of people will come to you with a "Hey, I always thought you'd have to be from government to have such a chimp-like writing talent" or "Can you tell me where you live so that I can beat your dog because you said something wrong about Smarty?" attitude

One of the many factors that makes writing documentation harder: would you rather have a very well documented half-baked CMS (== lots of time to compile information scattered all around) or a secure, fast and reliable system that has a somewhat chaotic but greatly (and quickly) improving documentation? It's wonderful that some people can focus on documentation, some other (like myself) on translations, and some other on coding.

Login

Who's Online

114 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 114

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits