stefan88
Re: heathernova.net problems on new Virtual Private Server (VPS)
  • 2008/6/10 18:32

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

try to enable debug mode via phpmayadmin or other tool.

check that templates_c and cache folders are 777

clear templates cache - delete all files except index.html in templates_c folder

hnn_gerd
  • 2008/6/10 19:16

• hnn_gerd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/5/24

I deleted the complete cache dirs including index.html. Hope that was not to much. Anyway it is not working.

I guess the website was hacked probably. Found some strange IPs from Egypt coming with 41.234.x.y

I found at the internet how to block those addresses with iptables command.

I changed passwords for the accounts.
www.heathernova.net - "it's the spirit in you, that i want to find." (heather nova)

stefan88
  • 2008/6/10 19:25

• stefan88

Quote:
I deleted the complete cache dirs including index.html. Hope that was not to much. Anyway it is not working.

better restore index.html - it is there to prevent access to those folders. you can use any of the files from other folders.

Any luck with debug?
Did you try any changes with theme when this happen?

hnn_gerd
  • 2008/6/10 19:47

• hnn_gerd

• Just popping in

No luck with debug. I no, i have no idea of themes so far. i am a newbie, well learning fast so hopefully.

I just tried a backup out from june 6th out, which works!
Probably not the database got destroyed so i will restore the one that i was thought it was hacked to see if it works with the httpdocs structure from June 6th. I always wonder why files and directories have to be 777 or 755. It should be enough to give the appache user group access, maybe with a common group?

btw, what is the most secure permission for mainfile.php?
www.heathernova.net - "it's the spirit in you, that i want to find." (heather nova)

Anonymous
  • 2008/6/10 20:11

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
hnn_gerd wrote:

btw, what is the most secure permission for mainfile.php?

CHMOD = 444

stefan88
  • 2008/6/10 20:23

• stefan88

Hi,

it works

But at the bottom of your page "Module File for xcgal Not Found!" check it - probably wrong folder uploaded.

hnn_gerd
  • 2008/6/10 21:03

• hnn_gerd

• Just popping in

It is an older backup. I made quite a lot changes.
The newer database doesn't fit to the modules installed. in the httdocs dierectory. I have to do those again!

Lession learned: Do a database backup and a backup of the files at pretty much the same time. Or to say better, if modules are updated, backup the files and the database right after it.

I still have the option to reinstall the Virtual Machine completely, but well I have never done that so far. I will first go for the backup i have and do the updates all again. Doing it the second time goes faster

hnn_gerd
  • 2008/6/11 17:03

• hnn_gerd

• Just popping in

Today the website stopped working. I got a blank page even after a reboot of the server. I had to restore the xoops_root (httpdocs) directory and then it worked again without doing anything in terms of the database. I can't explain why. Any ideas?

hnn_gerd
  • 2008/6/23 22:12

• hnn_gerd

• Just popping in

Looks like I had a lot of people attacking the website. I could fight against it and eliminated a virus/exploit.
Since two weeks now the website runs quite stable.
Still need to get this protector module running.

I have now a question to the news module. In the past the number of reads was always updated and we usually have quite a lot reads for each news message. Currently they all have zero reads! There must be a little prob as i am sure there are quite a lot of people reading the news. How does this reading count works for the news? Where is this number stored?

trabis
  • 2008/6/23 23:44

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

gomammy is killing me. My site just canĀ“t stand with more than 50 users. They said It was something in my site but a day latter, I recieved a warning that the server was going to a maintenence. After the maintenence i had a blessed week with my 250 user online and low server load. Today I have my server down and had to close it again to visitants. And... they say to me :

The maintenance that was performed was standard maintenance that we performed to improve our systems

(I can ear them saying that is not their fault again)
I have cached, I have cut queries to minimum...
Everything was good yesterday... How can it be my fault?

Well, as you were saying,
news module uses the storis table to store the reads in the 'hits' field. The file responsible to the update is article.php. First there is a check to see if it is the admin that is reading. If not, then it calls a function (do not remember but is something like news_updatecount() in include/functions.php or like $storie->updateCount() being that in class.story.php)

Check your sql debug info to see if the update is done, errors, etc.

Login

Who's Online

249 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 249

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits