technigrafa
Re: CSS100 [Holy Grail CSS Wireframe Theme]

Thanks again guys!

@javelin

UPDATE: I adjusted the left and right columns on the fixed theme and I think it has fixed the column shifting problems in IE. Please test for me. You can download it here:

----------------------------------------
FIXED SKIDOO TOO THEME:
Fixed Skidoo Too Theme
----------------------------------------

On another note, there has been a lot of requests for a non-fixed layout, so here is the same theme, colors changed a bit, in a non-fixed format. That means it will adjust to be the full width of your browser. It does use a little javascript to overcome the lack of min-width support in IE < 7 (as well as for the font size changing and the block hiding), so let me know if anyone experiences problems with that. Again, this theme is totally based on the Ruthsarian "Skidoo Too" layout but has been tweaked to work with XOOPS.

-------------------------------------------------------
SKIDOO TOO NON-FIXED CSS LAYOUT:
Download Skidoo Too Theme
-------------------------------------------------------

javelin
  • 2006/9/4 23:56

• javelin

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/3/11

Uploaded the fixed fixed theme and Skidoo too to
http://www.suffolkvapc.org/

However they both seem to have the same column dropping issue with ie6
FF there is no prroblem and all is well, its a shame that 87% of my users use ie

If you ctrl f5 the left column appears in the right place
until the moment the right column appears and then the left coumn drops down

Quote:
In ie however the only way I can stop the left column dropping down below the level of the center column is by clicking on the large font icon.

In the new fixed theme this no longer happens.

Sorry

EDIT - I changed the multi menu box size down to 120 wide and deactivated the "random faq question" box and we are back to clicking on either med or large font icons to set the left column correctly in both fixed and Skidoo themes.
I might not be very clever but I can lift heavy weights!

technigrafa

Hmm,

I tried changing the min font size to 105 in the theme file for the "skidoo2" theme and that fixed it for me. I've updated my zip file for skidoo2. Give that a try and see if it behaves any better. If so, maybe a similar fix for the fixed theme will work. Thanks for your help testing!

javelin
  • 2006/9/5 11:38

• javelin

• Not too shy to talk

Double hmmmm,

I changed to 105 and it made litte difference but I also tweaked the padding in the css from 10 to 5 for the three center columns and for the left and right column fieldsets from 10 to 5. see below, and fixed is now fixed

Quote:

#leftColumn fieldset
{ padding: 5px; border: solid 1px #cccccc }

#rightColumn fieldset
{ padding: 5px; border: solid 1px #cccccc }

.centerCcolumn
{ margin: 0 0 5px; padding: 5px; border: solid 1px #cccccc }

.centerLcolumn
{ float: left; margin: 0 5px 0 0; padding: 5px; border: solid 1px #cccccc; width: 43% }

.centerRcolumn
{ float: right; margin: 0 0 5px; padding: 5px; border: solid 1px #cccccc; width: 43% }

Spured on by this stroke of abject genius coupled with almost total luck I did the same for skidoo too and guess what?
It worked as well.

Happy bunny

Chappy
  • 2006/9/5 12:35

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

I tested the above changes and am continuing to have issues. I also added the full width theme and have the let column continue to drop down with any of the font adjust buttons chosen. Using IE 6.0. You can see on my site noted above.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

javelin
  • 2006/9/5 12:58

• javelin

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Chappy,

Is the "Sections Categories" a multimenu menu?

If so try reducing the box width a little.
I did this yesterday and found that those icons started to work.
Currently the menu border overflows the column so I guess thats why it's not working?

Edit - I just applied the "fixed" theme to another more haevily laden site and there were problems.
However they seem to all be related to block size.
For example the chat box width had to be reduced as had some thumbnails.
I also have a few iframes which needed a width reduction.
All worked from then on in both ff and IE until I hit the mid and large font buttons where both coluns dropped out.

I'm guessing here but the main problem seems to be when as size of a block, photo, frome is set in the module prefs it clashes with the set sizes in the theme.

technigrafa

Thanks again guys. I have changed the block padding to 5 px all around and updated the zip files. Hopefully that will help people out a bit

Javelin is right, if a block from a module is set to 250 pixels and the column it is in is only set to 200 pixels, it will cause wrapping problems. So to fix that either the theme needs to be changed to have bigger columns to match your needs, done here:

in style.css:

Search and replace "12em" (14em for fixed theme) with whatever you need, IE "14em" for bigger left and right columns, etc.

Or you can edit your module template files to not use tables or items bigger than (12em wide. 1 em = 16 pixels at a user's default font size setting) Or replace 12em with 100px to make sure the columns stay the exact width you want and not be relative to the content, that could cause some of the column wrap problems. If you do edit your module's templates, email me the replacement template and put it in the theme to replace those templates for others. I've already done this for a couple modules - mainly to strip out tables and be W3C HTML compliant.

Just remember, these themes are designed to be wireframes to help future theme developers have a common starting point to develop a theme that is CSS based and W3C compliant - These themes are not designed to be a drop-in-place-and-go theme. They may very well need to be tweaked to meet your site's needs. Every site is a little different and may require different block margins, column widths, etc.

Chappy
  • 2006/9/5 15:54

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Javelin:

No, it isn't a multimenu block. It's created by the custom blocks interface in the admin section.

tecnigrafa:

I'll try and play with it later today to see how it all works making the suggested changes.

Thanks!

[EDIT]

I made the sections categories menu "not visible" and it shows fine now except in the fixed theme when it's set at the large setting. It shows fine in each of the browsers and indeed, each of the themes noted here - in a cursory look - appeared fine. SO, I think we're going in a good direction.

It's exciting to see the load times improve as well.

I think it would be good, when we get a better handle on this, to post a tutorial or so on how to adapt the module blocks, etc so that we can adapt our sites for these themes.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

javelin
  • 2006/9/8 14:27

• javelin

• Not too shy to talk

The fixed theme athttp://www.suffolkvapc.org is progressing well, if a little too purple.

However I'd like to increase the gap between the item foot and the title of the next item and I'm struggling to find which item in the css controls this.

Cheers

Mike

technigrafa

That should be fairly easy.

Edit in style.css:

.itemFoot {margin-bottom:10px}

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits