DMarvelus
Re: What do you think about new login in Xoops 2.2
  • 2005/8/12 13:36

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
DMarvelus: that's not a new security thret. You could do the same right now if I changed my name and you changed yours (changing mine frees up the old one). The only way to stop this is to make names unique forever, or give admins reserved names.

So th ethreat isn't that big IMHO.

Herko

How do I change my username (if I am a regular user not an admin)? I just went to Edit Profile screen, and the name "DMarvelus" doesn't seem like you can edit it.

DMarvelus
  • 2005/8/12 16:13

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

i don't think i can change my username... so my point still stands.

barryc
  • 2005/8/15 6:23

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I recognize the reasoning behind the user name/display name idea and am comfortable with it. My only concern is that users on my site, and I suppose others, might find it confusing. I'd like to see a short explanation of what those fields are. Even better, I'd like to see a field that the admin could use to add a text passage at the top of the registration form. It could be used to explain those fields, but, as well, the webmaster could indicate other important information unique to a particular site. As an example, on the site I maintain, we MUST have full name and address information for people who are club members, in order to send them mailings. I can't make those fields required, because non-member registered users don't need to include them, and sometimes don't want to. A concern is that club members will go into their profile and delete information that we must have. I'd like them to be aware of the problem.

Therefore, I'd like to request the inclusion of such a field. If it were not filled in, nothing would appear, of course.

Thanks for listening,

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

succhi
  • 2005/9/5 14:49

• succhi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/20

I personally would like to see the Display Name become optional. I am attempting to build my second significant XOOPS site but will never have the need to use the Display Name or Avatars etc.

I am not implementing forums or the usual news type modules. I am just using XOOPS as a framework for logging in, XOOPS's API etc. Plus I am familiar with Module dev now.

So for me I would like to just see the real basics in the profile and extraneous information moved to extended profiles. Make Avatar usage optional etc.

Most people use XOOPS as a portal and so the current changes are understandable but I think it removes some flexibility and restricts the kinds of sites XOOPS could be used for.

Login

Who's Online

245 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 245

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits