Herko
Re: XOOPS mascot
  • 2005/4/27 5:48

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I'm extremely busy, will get back on friday. More news and info and diretions/comments then. But read my posts in this thread again carefully, there are some points I made that are ignored in these posts that need to be addressed. You get direction, ignore them and say that we don't participate...

Anyways, I like your designs, but I don't want to make this into a design discussion yet. Read my previous poss in this thread

Herko

simeon
  • 2005/5/2 20:48

• simeon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/18

hi guys
sorry for being late.my pc was on holiday :)
here´s what i think about a XOOPS mascot.
what it should show?for me it "does" show the human in foreground of xoops.it shows the ideas that these human gave to XOOPS and the dynamic flow, the way to a higher dimension made by the human.sorry i can´t say much of what i think because of my bad english.i will try to let my thought translated by someone.

here it comes - "Xoopmin"

Resized Image

let me know what you think about.
to the copyright thing, if it gets the XOOPS mascot i will give a allinkl licence to XOOPS found. for use in every way.till then every right is on my side and a publishing isnt allowed at all

zeroram
  • 2005/5/2 21:34

• zeroram

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/6/30

i really like this concept,

the logo look great for a human powered cms like XOOPS is...

probably i will just add a litle color to it.. coz' black and white alone look too sad, maybe adding the blue XOOPS backgirund color will look much better.

or adding the right side of the arm and leg to XOOPS yellow

and the opposite side to white

something like this

Resized Image

simeon
  • 2005/5/2 21:43

• simeon

• Not too shy to talk

thx zeroram
i forgot to say that the posted image is just like a sketch made to be edited or rendered in some way.i´m not that good in 3d rendering images but i think that is not that big problem.i know some peoples who can do that.
the most important for me was to make the "body" of a mascot first

damaster
  • 2005/5/2 22:54

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

I'm glad to see that you adopt the minimaliste humain representation.

I like your draft.. something comes out of it.
Like the 5 senses, the 5 five fingers, representing the prolongation of mind (spirit) and the power of creation.

It reminds me something i worked on with the Rolex logo : a crown drawn like a humain five fingers hand producing a perfect mechanism.

Just for fun, lets make it alive!
Why not animate it with 3D?

P.S. Try to reduce or increase the "head top lines" to give a visual impression of "5".
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

pdajunkee
  • 2005/5/3 0:55

• pdajunkee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/3 2

Simeon, zeroram, these are the best drawings I've seen here! I prefer this style over the cartoon animal character. But I see a close resemblence to the Excite logo.http://www.excite.com/

For me, XOOPS is a product that allows any shmuck, such as myself, to produce a quality community portal website that everyone can participate in. It's all about bringing people together online. Giving the power to non-programmers to be able to make a custom web environment.

I suggest continuing with the "X" person logo, instead of an animal.

simeon
  • 2005/5/3 10:21

• simeon

• Not too shy to talk

like i said, i´m no expert in 3d rendering stuff.i just wanna show you my try.nothing matters, just for playing around

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

damaster
  • 2005/5/3 13:26

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

Definitely, the human representation looks like to be the good way to go for.

Considering what Pdajunkee said about the Excite logo maybe review the "lines over the head" : three + two (of arms) giving the 5, five senses, etc. or get rid of them.

Also, give a try to horizontal reverse to have ">" instead of "<" (mathemical langugage in mind).

Any way thanks for all those visual examples of possibilities.

Great work !

simeon
  • 2005/5/3 14:15

• simeon

• Not too shy to talk

"personally" i dont see any similarity between my and those excite logo.already because the excite logo is in a "handwritten" style.i dont know about that logo, better said i dont know about these site till i see about it here.

"for me" i will use the actually one but i´m workin on another one that is managing this point.
perhaps someone from XOOPS should say something about it, i dont want to spend much of my time if theres no question about "official" mascot anyway.

Quote:
Also, give a try to horizontal reverse to have ">" instead of "<" (mathemical langugage in mind).

atm i dont know what you wanna see.xoopin is most of all depending on the original XOOPS logo (see header here) which is like "<".i dont know whether its good to change that regarding recognizing.same call to a XOOPS dev to express opinion

damaster
  • 2005/5/3 16:52

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

@ Simeon
"like i said, i´m no expert in 3d rendering stuff.i just wanna show you my try.nothing matters, just for playing around"

Quote:
Herko Coomans wrote:
In the next 4 weeks, the XOOPS Foundation invites everyone to propose a design for a mascot for the exclusive use by XOOPS project and Foundation, for the benefit of promoting the XOOPS.org project, the system and the community.

The mascot designs must conform to the following criteria:
- Express the artists view on what 'XOOPS' stands for;
- Explain in detail how this concept is concieved, and what it stands for;
- Usable for promotion activities for XOOPS.org and it's partners (the local support sites);
- All rights should be licensed to the XOOPS Foundation (read carefully: licensed, not transferred);
- Contain a detailed description of how it should be used;
- Should be usable without being combined with the logo;
- Should be usable in various situations, on various media.

We will then ask a jury to look at the proposals, and have a public vote on this as well.

And ... Quote:

phppp wrote:
Could this be used as an offical call-for-design by our local support site?

And ... Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
of course

Then, I push him, in a kind way, to over react !...
Because we already discuss about it at XOOPS Theme Forge, by the way, also discussed about mathematical linguage. So, don't worry with it, XOOPS is just needing something new.

Well, i was inspired by Jason, LazyBadger and many others, when i came out with the human representation - XOOPS Guide instead the animal one.

I still saw here 'contribution' and 'Xoops Powered by You'! And i feel free to improve it or not as i don't worry with chief or whatever promotion that could represent

Resized Image

P.S. The critic is constructive, that allows us to do better, at least this is not indifference.

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits