m0nty
Re: To the Newcomer
  • 2005/2/9 13:43

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

all sounds good :) i wasn't thinking of the home page though for the help file, that would require a little more work than i think is necessary..

we already have a page in XOOPS after install that could be utilised for this very purpose..

if u check /install/language/english/finish.php it's the last page you see after install where you click to view your home page..

<?php
// $Id: finish.php,v 1.5 2003/02/12 11:35:36 okazu Exp $
$content .=
"<u><b>Your site</b></u>
<p>Click <a href='../index.php'>HERE</a> to see the home page of your site.</p>
<u><b>Way to use</b></u>
<p>Click <a href='../xoops_helpguide.html'>HERE</a> to view the basic user guide and guide for beginners.</p>
<u><b>Support</b></u>
<p>Visit <a href='https://xoops.org/' target='_blank'>XOOPS.org</a></p>
"
;
?>

can be edited as above.. and the helpguide/welcome page can then be placed in the home folder or anywhere you want it really..

just my thoughts..

pfaulkne
  • 2005/2/10 4:38

• pfaulkne

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/14

m0nty, the last page is only viewed once. By the time you discover you need help, that page is most likely gone because you've just clicked on the 'view my site'? button and gotten the blk pg problem.

However, it would be good to have it there as a starting point also. Since if you do get the blk pg you can always backup to the last page and then start your (re)search.

m0nty
  • 2005/2/10 5:04

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

but we're not just focussing on BLA*K page, this thread was never intended as a solution to the dreaded bla*k page!! or did i not read the initial post correctly?? it was intended for newcomers to read and learn that they should use the search feature and read the FAQ and documentation before posting such questions as bla*k page and hundreds of other questions that we get fed up of answering repeatedly with the same answers..

the page in the install could display a few tips and helpful comments aswell as provide them with links to the relevant pages on xoops.org and also to inform people of FORUM etiquette and the best way to use the forum. the link to the help file could easily also be placed at the top of the admin section header and in the header of the default header too. just to make sure people do see it..

besides the html page would be stored on the server anyway and could easily be called from a browser as it's just a html page..

maybe it oughta be titled in BIG LETTERS 'READ ME BEFORE VIEWING YOUR HOMEPAGE' but then again some people will probably not see that either.. does anybody actually read the read me files??? most don't by the looks of it, they just jump right in and install then they have a problem and still don't bother reading the instructions before asking questions that are clearly and well documented..

having it display on the homepage is absolutely no good whatsoever if you're getting a bla*k page.. jeez..

can we drop the blank page issue from this thread and get back to being on topic.. instead of off topic..

pfaulkne
  • 2005/2/10 6:47

• pfaulkne

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/14

ooops, sorry for the confusion. my post poorly expessed. I was using one example and didn't articulate myself well.
Slapped myself on the wrist and getting back on topic.

so back at the ranch..

How dificult would it be to place a search area on that final page.

I think putting the docs, FAQ and a xoops.org search on that last page would cover everything. Not sure if that realistic or not, but would save one more click that redirects you. Results can come up in a new window so that you can then switch back to that last page and bring up docs or faqs.

JMorris
  • 2005/2/10 11:41

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Well, one thing that might help would be to set the target of "View your Homepage" to _blank. This way, the last page of the install, with the suggested help resources, would still be redily available if the person finds that they have a problem. If, I'm understanding your suggestion correctly, pfaulkne, it would not be difficult at all to add a search box to the last install page that links directly to the XOOPS.org search function and opens in a new window.

I'm curious as to whether or not a "Test your install" function could be added to that last page. For instance, add a button that checks chmod (folder/file) permissions, a button that performs a table check on the DB, and perhaps a few "Debugging" buttons that open the site in a new window with either PHP, MySQL, or Smarty debugging turned on.

These seem to be the most common areas for problems and the most common checkpoints. Why not integrate it into the install?

carnuke
  • 2005/2/10 12:54

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

The Docs site is in progress of setting up a new 'user help' system that is specifically targetted at the first time installer and inexperienced user.

The page will clearly lead users to sections such as

What beginners need to know
Faults and trouble shooting.

etc ....

These sections will have a small and selected collection of FAQs, articles, tutorials and other resources.

When this is up and running, I would suggest one link in the finish screen to this help page would cover every option required for users to

1- rectify any faults in installation
2- Proceed to admin with advice on first time setup procedures.
3- Find instructions about modules and themes installations.
4- Learn about further website building with xoops.

Login

Who's Online

260 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 260

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits