vaughan
Re: SPAM attack
  • 2007/6/26 15:45

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

also with regards to email spam, you could also set your email server (if you have your own) to reject emails that do not have a valid SPF record (sender Policy Framework).

but this could block legit users, but either way you can certainly filter out emails with invalid SPF or no SPF records.

If you have a website & it sends emails out, it would be a very good idea to start and use an SPF record for your domain, as it is certainly becoming more widely used.

you can find out about SPF here.

peterr
Re: SPAM attack
  • 2007/6/27 6:22

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

Hi Vaughan,

Quote:

vaughan wrote:
well 1st off, i'm not sure if it was intentional, but i think there was a slight misunderstanding in Peterr's 2nd post as it referred to SMTP which basically would mean he is referring to email spam.

My reply was intentional, but it was how to combat spam before it hits your email accounts/boxes.

From what little I know (and it is only a little), ASSP can actually "bounce" any spam emails by returning either a "550" or one of the other "5nn series" messages from the smtp server.

I only did a little bit of research, but this is my understanding of what ASSP can do.

1. Normal scenario - invalid address

If a spammer tries to email using an invalid email address, it will bounce back it won't get past the email server, and definitely never into your inbox.

2. With ASSP - Valid address

You can setup a "whitelist", BUT the whitelist doesn't apply at your email account (inbox) level, because it is too late then, as the email server has already accepted the email (valid address).

The whitelist is applied at the email server level, and even if a spammer uses a "valid" email address, the email server can effectively "bounce" the email, it won't get past the server, and of course if it doesn get past the email server, then it can't get into your inbox.

Nice eh.
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard.
Sign the petition

Login

Who's Online

285 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 285

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits