intel352
Re: OSCOMMERCE MODULE DEAD?
  • 2004/8/11 11:15

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

it still has more integration that it needs to go through, esp concerning the dual login issue

peterr
  • 2004/8/11 12:03

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

Hi,

Quote:

bd_csmc wrote:
it still has more integration that it needs to go through, esp concerning the dual login issue

I don't know the problems that are being encountered, but do know that osC always uses a LOT of constants, so if XOOPS is the front end, then can XOOPS set the constants ?

Quote:

http://au2.php.net/manual/en/language.constants.php

Like superglobals, the scope of a constant is global. You can access constants anywhere in your script without regard to scope. For more information on scope, read the manual section on variable scope.

Syntax

You can define a constant by using the define()-function. Once a constant is defined, it can never be changed or undefined.

I guess the dual login issue is a lot to do with handing the different sessions.

Peter

intel352
  • 2004/8/11 12:48

• intel352

• Module Developer

i don't see any reason why XOOPS wouldn't handle the constants. is that not already implemented in the port? (dunno, i stopped bothering with it when i saw no progress seemed to be occurring)

yes, the login issue is due to different login & cookie methods, different information that needs to be stored per user, etc.

i have my own thoughts about how it could be handled, but i believe the xOSC team will be going a diff route, if they go that route at all.

peterr
  • 2004/8/11 13:07

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Yes, the login and cookies would be an obstacle, not impossible I hope.

osCommerce, for just browsing and looking at products uses the cookie named 'osCsid' and XOOPS does similar with setting the cookie name 'PHPSESSID'

They both use additional cookies for logging in, and I assume the XOOPS/osC module would have to be checking all of them, in the case of someone ordering online.

osC does put the huge long session id in the url, even when browsing a website, and you have to turn session id's off for any bots/spiders, otherwise if the bot picks up the session id and it appears in search engines, then there is the 'chance' of 2 people logging on with the same session id (ouch !! ). osC handles this by turning off sessions for spiders though.

So, the whole session management is possibly done a bit differently to XOOPS maybe ??

Peter

intel352
  • 2004/8/11 13:35

• intel352

• Module Developer

i believe the type of information stored in XOOPS sessions is likely much different and less in quantity compared to the osc sessions, which is where some people seem to hit a wall

peterr
  • 2004/8/24 12:13

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Hi,

Contrary to posts in this thread about the OSC module being dead, this:

http://xosc.xoops2.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=147&forum=5&post_id=642#forumpost642

tells me it is alive and kicking.

Zen Cart is only a 'branch' off osCommerce, and is not really considered superior to osCommerce. The next milestone release of osCommerce (MS3) will have a template system.

Peter

JMorris
  • 2004/8/24 13:21

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Development on the XOSC may very well be happening, however, the developer(s) are not providing any information to the general public. Therefore, as far as the general public is concerned, the XOSC module does, indeed, seem dead.

BTW... I posted in that thread 2004/7/24 22:11 with the following message...

Quote:
Thanks fatman for the update.

For those who are continually complaining about the lack of development on this module......

Either get off your lazy butts and do it yourself, or at least offer something constructive instead of complaining!

That being said, I tried, with what limited skill I have, to no avail. I've learned to skin XOSC to work with XOOPS in a side-by-side setup, but I was unable to fully integrate the two.

I understaind your passion for this module, and your desire to stick up for it. Nevertheless, the last post in that thread by a XOSC developer was 2004/4/29 0:49.

Several requests have been made on this and the XOSC forum for an update on the status of XOSC. None has been offered. I would love to hear from an XOSC developer that the module is still under development. In fact, I would be one of the first to offer what skills I posess to the cause, but until then, the community has been left with the impression that development is dead.

Just stating the facts.

/2c

peterr
  • 2004/8/24 13:42

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Hi,

Thanks very much for the update, or should I say 'the real news' on the development on the XOSC module.

On the osCommerce side of things, milestone 3 (MS3) will hopefully be released soon. I do not know how soon though, but it will itself be more modularised, and use a templating schema - for both the overall look and program output. Also, more use of classes and moving to an OOP based architecture are some of the goals.

I mention this because an XOOPS module containing osCommerce is obviously based on 2.2 MS-2 version, whilst osC 2.2 MS-3 is (hopefully) just around the corner, some major changes in fact.

Peter

Login

Who's Online

244 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 244

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits