DobePhat
Re: 3 Different Dotcoms (One) Database...
  • 2004/2/5 5:40

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Quote:
Can you share one database with multiple XOOPS sites?

ITs a noble idea...but unless you got loads of power...I wouldnt overload your database so unecasaarily. XOOPS does a lot of queries as it is...especially if you are using a lot of modules.....

Are all the sites different in content?
Again it could be a nightmare with user prefd for each site...etc...as far as ovel=rload...

Im totally theorizing though and encourage such experimentation since you already experimented some...(examine the user.php files for each I cant remember but one of em could be one to duplicate...replicate ..share whatever), user_prefs and such would be important I gather...but really dont have a clue...jus ramblin
good luck

script_fu

Thanks for your post. My main concern and what I need to have is partners and weblinks that I can share between sites. I have alot of sites (30 plus) and maintaining weblinks has become a nitemare. So im looking for a way to do the links once on one site. Then from the other sites pull the links from the one I keep currant. Just imagine trying to up date 30 sites everytime someone wants to link with you.

DobePhat
  • 2004/2/6 0:48

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

ah...wel that makes sense..
hmmmmm
of course make backups and all..
I dont use phpmyadmin I use MySQL front
there is an execute query command.

One time I erased all my forum posts!
I found a back up (exported tables...a huge text(wordpad) doc) tediusly found where the tables for that began...

Copied into a seperate text document then ran it as a query...

It worked...somehow!

I imagine if you put the similar data from one it may work...but it could get muddy and complicated. I'd try to seek a sql expert...who'd probably find this rather easy.

S I guess Im just saying it may be possible...after all...

fatman
  • 2004/2/6 2:07

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/13

Are all your sites on the same server? The most ideal way would be to build a script outside of XOOPS which would sync the database tables. You'd have to be pretty familiar with both php and sql to do that and have access to all the databases from one spot.

If you have phpmyadmin, a less technically involved method would be to back up your data to CVS files and then import these files into the tables in your other databases.

phpmyadmin allows for pretty straight forward importing/exporting and is also common in php/mysql hosting environments. CVS files are nice because you can select at the time of import if you want to replace existing records or just add new ones.

hth somewhat

mouacy
  • 2005/3/27 22:37

• mouacy

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/11/2

I'm testing three domains in a share server with one single database. With the correct settings in the mainfile.php for dbhost, dbname, dbuser and dbpass, loading database data is not a problem.

I run into problem with:

1] Site Title, slogan, theme, and probably some other minor settings that were saved into the database.

2] Pictures and avatars (which were mentioned in some previous posts)

About problem one, I think title can be override in the theme. As for theme, it can probely be configure somewhere. I remember that one of the old XOOPS version, user can have their won themes. This function would be useful for multiple sites with different themes but same database.

To get the correct url for pictures and avatar, the url and path for pictures or avatar can be done using some methods like $xoops_url and $xoops_path to insert the correct url from the different domains and paths.

path: /home/user/$xoops_path/
url: $xoops_url/anything

In addition, I can host multiple domains in one share space with the http.cnf file configure to point to the url to the right folder. Since I do not need to install XOOPS in three domains, one alternative that I would love to do is to install XOOPS in only domain but have the other two domains share the same scripts along with the single database, but different settings (this would more something like masking a domain name). A configuration file must be in each root folder of the other two domains to load the XOOPS script from the first domain where XOOPS is installed. Eah domain folder must have its own header, footer, and main configure file to get the necessary data when need (like pictures and avatar, for example).

These seem like difficult tasks, but I think they can be achieve if and only if I have the technical skills to make them. But some of you guys might have better ways to make this happen.

Lance_
  • 2005/3/28 0:13

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Check out my first three sites in my sig, they run the way you want. I even share some tables.

Do a search on "multisite". You'll find some good stuff.
The method I use only needs to change 2 files.

Cheers

Mithrandir

I use My multisite hack to run web-udvikling.dk and bfsb.dk on the same database with the same physical files, but with independent (or shared as necessary) database tables.

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits