Daigoro
Re: Discussion: How best to make CONTENT multilingual
  • 2003/10/28 8:49

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

Skalpa,

Your description sounds good.
You obviously has alot more expierence with databases then I do.

There's one part where I disagree:

Quote:

skalpa wrote:
For core/module handling: a little part should be handled by the kernel itself (specifying avail languages / user pref), but module writers will have to take care of the rest (anyway it's not too difficult to implement I think...)

We have allready seen the speed old modules (from 1.2/1.3) are converted into 2.0 - which is not very impressive.
I'm afraide we will end up with most modules beeing single language, and users would then have to hack the modules to make them work on a multilanguage site. It's not far from like it is today.

IMHO, most multilanguage things should happen per default in the core, but module writers should be able to take control if needed.

Daigoro
  • 2003/10/28 8:53

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Quote:
hsalazar wrote:
That said, I'm in the process of building a multilingual version of the XOOPS 2.0.5a package.

This is great news. As soon as I have time for it, I'll collect all the multilangual hacks I've made, for you to include.

Daigoro
  • 2003/10/29 1:04

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

About 18 hours ago I was told about The Open Group, and their technical standard on Context-Dependent and Directional Text.

I've only had time to read the first 25 pages, but I've realized it's a very important document for XOOPS core developers (and others) to read.

The technical standard (ISBN 1-85912-142-X January 1997), is a very detailed standard which in 90 pages describe most problems with multilanguage systems supporting the so-called bidirectional text. It's available online for free in both html and pfd.
To download, go here: http://www.opengroup.org/products/publications/catalog/c616.htm.

Supporting a multitude of languages is much more complex then I initially thought. The above mentioned work, introduces the most problematic written systems, which is Arabic, Urdu, Farsi, Hebrew, Yiddish, Thai and Korean - several is not directly described, but covered by the others - they include Devanagari, Gurmukhi, Gujarati, Oriya, Bengali, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Sinhaese, Khmer (Cambodian), Lao, Mongolian, Chinese and Tibetan.
It reveals many important things - most of which will have to go into the XOOPS core to give it it's best impact on the overall system.

The pdf document is only about 90 pages, and introduces many c-functions dealing with the problems faced by applications in order to store data in a search and display-able manner.

Best regards.

svaha
  • 2003/10/29 12:02

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Quote:
That said, I'm in the process of building a multilingual version of the XOOPS 2.0.5a package. The idea would be to include in the downloads this hacked version so people needing to publish their sites in several languages don't have to go through the problem of applying the hacks one by one.

Fantastico Horatio!!!
Though the present system is not perfect, it's what we have. To me it means more time to deal with content of my site.

Aloha

Anonymous
  • 2003/10/31 2:03

• Anonymous

• Since:

I finally gave up and went to use Google Translation. It looks cheesy but translates everything.
www.scanusa.com[quote]

ajaxbr
  • 2003/11/3 6:38

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

Two solutions I stumbled upon: Xaraya's and PHPope's.

Daigoro
  • 2003/11/3 11:54

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Ajaxbr,

A quick read on those two sites, suggests to me that they have exactly the same language features as the current (un-hacked) XOOPS version. It's possible they have some extra features, but they were not emidiately apparent to me.

One thing Xaraya do have, though, is a great theme. WOW!!

cjarolim
  • 2003/11/3 13:01

• cjarolim

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/2 5

Thanks for starting this discussion! I just launched a xoops-site (old but quite stable / version 1.3) with more than 1 language and found it quite hard to do that without
1) having too much to do (grin) with setup and administration
2) confusing my customer
3) being able to upgrade XOOPS if wanted

So I set up three independend XOOPS installations (german, english, and - not yet translated, approved, and linked, but on line - italian)

This is no solution for the question you asked above, but it was the quickliest way to make three out of one (the german version was there for about half a year before the customer wanted more...)

Following the conversation, I'd prefer a strict separation of languages in the database. Even with two languages, only, the content-administration with this bracket based solution might become a bit confusing for those who do this task not on a regular base.

But: How about adapting the storyform.inc (...and related, of course) in the news/admin folder to prompt one language-version of the form after the other when one updates a text?

It would be quite clear, what happens next, no customer would have to mess with the brackets and my lazy me would get a quite easy to set up and maintain multilingual website...

Cheers!

Christian Jarolim
mailto:christian@jarolim.com

svaha
  • 2003/11/3 13:27

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

You mean this? :

Quote:
5) Optional: (If you want to switch the news by selecting language)
This optional hack switches the 'Topic' in the News using 'storytopic'.

The 'storytopic' of the built-in topic named as 'XOOPS' is '1'.
If you make a new topic in News admin, then the 'storytopic' of it is '2'.

If you use '1' for English and '2' for French, edit XOOPS_DIR/modules/news/index.php.

nearby line 35
change from
$xoopsOption['storytopic'] = 0;
to
global $xoopsConfig;
if ($xoopsConfig['language'] == "english"){$xoopsOption['storytopic'] =1;} else {$xoopsOption['storytopic'] = 2;}

Aloha

Daigoro
  • 2003/11/3 15:55

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Quote:
cjarolim wrote:
But: How about adapting the storyform.inc (...and related, of course) in the news/admin folder to prompt one language-version of the form after the other when one updates a text?
It would be quite clear, what happens next, no customer would have to mess with the brackets and my lazy me would get a quite easy to set up and maintain multilingual website...

It's possible, but will not make it possible to translate everything. It's also a problem if the person who writes the text, don't know the other (perhape many) languages.

I'd prefer a spacial (admin) module, where the languages a user - with translation rights - has selected are listed. On this page there should beclear indications about what contens is available, and what needs to be translated. Some sort of tree-structure would probably be usefull.

Best regards,

Login

Who's Online

103 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 103

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits