dheltzel
Re: WF-Section V2 Beta Now Released
  • 2004/5/6 14:20

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

I just got a chance to try this out on my testing site, and I'm very impressed !!

I've only explored the admin pages so far, but this module looks like it will be fantastic for my sites. Consider this a virtual pat on the back.

I know you're quite busy, but I think moving this to a final release and making it part of the default XOOPS install will be a huge step forward for XOOPS.

Is there a place in a Wiki where people like me can add some howto and "use case" material about the new wfsections? The only drawback I see in this module is an overwhelming sense of complexity with all the admin options. I love complexity, but a first time user might want some help setting this up for various types of use, hence good docs in a wiki or something like that.

Thanks for all your effort, Catswolf!

Dennis

brash
  • 2004/5/6 22:22

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

queentux wrote:
Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
Nice catch, have fixed this for the next version

So, if I download the version right vBeta2 will it be fixed or shall I wait a little while longer?

This is a beta release (not for use on production sites as it still has bugs), so the idea is to release it to the general XOOPS public for bug identification, and catz has already released seeveral bug fixed versions. Many hands make light work, so if you would like to see this module reach a stable release version for use on your live production site download, install, and start wih the bug reports now . Just be sure to be as detailed as possible and remember to have PHP-Debug turned on. Catz has been very responsive to date so hopefully at this rate we should only be a month or so of an RC (release candidate) version.

brash
  • 2004/5/6 23:04

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

dheltzel wrote:
I just got a chance to try this out on my testing site, and I'm very impressed !!

I've only explored the admin pages so far, but this module looks like it will be fantastic for my sites. Consider this a virtual pat on the back.

I know you're quite busy, but I think moving this to a final release and making it part of the default XOOPS install will be a huge step forward for XOOPS.

Is there a place in a Wiki where people like me can add some howto and "use case" material about the new wfsections? The only drawback I see in this module is an overwhelming sense of complexity with all the admin options. I love complexity, but a first time user might want some help setting this up for various types of use, hence good docs in a wiki or something like that.

Thanks for all your effort, Catswolf!

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

It does look great doesn't it ! I've been looking for a log time for a article management system with the features Catz has put into this.

If you have a look at the XOOPS roadmap you'll see that in the future there will be no core modules, just modules that get recommended for use with Xoops. This should allow core devs to concentrate more on XOOPS instead of the modules. I think everyone would agree that this module will be a very large attractant to the XOOPS CMS, so hopefully with everyone helping out with bug reports Catz will be able to move this along to a stable production version in the not too far distant future. He has been really on the ball to date, so start testing and bug reporting .

On the issue of usage, I do agree that the sheer number of options might be a little daunting to the newcomer. However, once you start to understand how it all hangs together, and the flexibility this provides then you'll only love WfSection more . I also think a WfSection WIKI would be a great idea.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/6 23:43

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

This is a beta release (not for use on production sites as it still has bugs), so the idea is to release it to the general XOOPS public for bug identification, and catz has already released seeveral bug fixed versions. Many hands make light work, so if you would like to see this module reach a stable release version for use on your live production site download, install, and start wih the bug reports now . Just be sure to be as detailed as possible and remember to have PHP-Debug turned on. Catz has been very responsive to date so hopefully at this rate we should only be a month or so of an RC (release candidate) version.

Sorry Brash, but it will not be a month before I will be release a RC of WF-Section. I hope to have RC sometime by the end of this week or the start of next week

Just like to say thank you all for your nice comments

ATB

Catz

brash
  • 2004/5/6 23:50

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:

Sorry Brash, but it will not be a month before I will be release a RC of WF-Section. I hope to have RC sometime by the end of this week or the start of next week

Just like to say thank you all for your nice comments

ATB

Catz

Ok, then I better get cracking on doing a full bug report for you . Any chance of getting a new release with all bug fixes to date so I can sit down over the weekend and systematically go through the whole lot?

Anonymous
  • 2004/5/6 23:57

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
then I better get cracking on doing a full bug report for you

Have a look at the bugtracker at wfsections.xoops2.com. I already posted a few easy-to-solve bugs. Hope that helps...

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/6 23:57

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

Ok, then I better get cracking on doing a full bug report for you . Any chance of getting a new release with all bug fixes to date so I can sit down over the weekend and systematically go through the whole lot?

Should be a release tomorrow.

I have fixed all the issues reported in this forum and one really important one. It seemed when updating an article that the publish date was getting updated when it shouldn't have.

One area I really need checking in the access for different users, do any users have problems gaining access, editing or can they gain access to where they should not?

Thanks

ATB

Catz

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/6 23:59

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

francis wrote:
Quote:
then I better get cracking on doing a full bug report for you

Have a look at the bugtracker at wfsections.xoops2.com. I already posted a few easy-to-solve bugs. Hope that helps...

Thanks Francis, will have a look at them now

Catzwolf
  • 2004/5/7 0:01

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

On the issue of usage, I do agree that the sheer number of options might be a little daunting to the newcomer. However, once you start to understand how it all hangs together, and the flexibility this provides then you'll only love WfSection more . I also think a WfSection WIKI would be a great idea.

I do plan once this version of WF-Sections is out on doing a full documentation on is usage, but I can't do that until its written (Wf-Sections that is).

Maybe one of the Documentation team would like to help out with this?

Anonymous
  • 2004/5/7 0:03

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
One area I really need checking in the access for different users, do any users have problems gaining access, editing or can they gain access to where they should not?

Cannot confirm this! Works for me as it should be.

I made a hack for myself, that might be worth implemented. I am always tired of messages like "you don't have permission to..." so I made the display of the admin items dependable on the groups. Perhaps that could be extended automatically if the group does not have permission to access certain areas?

Login

Who's Online

146 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 146

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits