sailjapan
Re: Terms of use and XOOPSiquette review

How about re-phrasing the 'Subject = Help!' guideline:

Subjects - Please try to use meaningful subjects when opening a new topic in the forums. Including some key words (such as 'Theme' or 'Module' or 'Installation') which give some hint about your problem will help attract people knowledgeable about your issue. Though we do our best to keep a track of all new issues that arrive, subjects like "Help! I'm lost" can be overlooked, and may take longer to find a resolution to than is usually the case. Help us to help you

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

skenow
  • 2007/7/2 17:06

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Another problem with the 'Help me!' subject line is when the real question is finally answered, the community gains nothing. Many questions do get answered in the forums and the solutions get lost because they are buried under topic subjects that have no relevance to the question.

You may suggest the moderator edit the subject line to match the question, but that, too, can fall under the above definition of 'overmoderation'.

I'm with Vaughan on this one - lowering our expectations for behavior is not going to improve the situation.

sailjapan

Quote:
Another problem with the 'Help me!' subject line is when the real question is finally answered, the community gains nothing. Many questions do get answered in the forums and the solutions get lost because they are buried under topic subjects that have no relevance to the question.

Yes, I can see how that would come about.

Quote:
You may suggest the moderator edit the subject line to match the question, but that, too, can fall under the above definition of 'overmoderation'.

Me? Noooo. Seems like a perfectly good solution if applied with due afore thought.

Quote:
I'm with Vaughan on this one - lowering our expectations for behavior is not going to improve the situation.

I don't think it's a matter of lowering our expectations. Simply a matter of persuading folk to title their posts more accurately. No harm in phrasing the guideline as a friendly piece of advice rather than as a 'Do as you're told!' type of thing, is there? Everyone would gain...

But maybe that's just me.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

skenow
  • 2007/7/2 17:44

• skenow

• Home away from home

Sorry - got confused over references to 2 different codes of conduct. Here's a clip from the XOOPSinfo Code:

Quote:

Subjects for posts

* Try to summarize the problem briefly in the subject and elaborate in the message itself. Repeat the subject in the body if it will make things clearer.
* Do not use all CAPS and do not add false information just to get attention.
* Use meaningful subjects in the forum and comments which give information about your posting. Do not use subjects like "Help! I’m lost".
* Do not use a URL as a thread title.
* These forums are centered on XOOPS Open Source software and other Internet and computer matters. They are not a place to promote ideological, religious, or political matters. All such discussions will be deleted or closed by a moderator.
* This is not the place to settle a commercial disagreement for custom development or to be a 'wall of shame'. Any posts deemed to be of this nature will be removed. Settle your disputes in private please.

I am not opposed to rephrasing "Do not use..." to

Quote:
Subjects like "Help! I'm lost" can be overlooked, and may take longer to find a resolution to than is usually the case

turn the negative to a positive

BlueStocking

Quote:

by sailjapan on 2007/7/2 11:58:12

How about re-phrasing the 'Subject = Help!' guideline:

Subjects - Please try to use meaningful subjects when opening a new topic in the forums. Including some key words (such as 'Theme' or 'Module' or 'Installation') which give some hint about your problem will help attract people knowledgeable about your issue. Though we do our best to keep a track of all new issues that arrive, subjects like "Help! I'm lost" can be overlooked, and may take longer to find a resolution to than is usually the case. Help us to help you

Crip

That is excellent, the statement as it is now does not offer a reasonable alternative.
As a sidenote: Moderators should also be allowed to change the header request to reflect where it will be routed in the end when ever they see a change in subject line would benefit the community as a whole.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

BlueStocking

Skenow,
We are talking TWO different user agreements. I am only referring to the one HERE on xoops.org.

That is the one I was referring to on the "help, I'm lost" issue. I believe SailJapan has the answer that I would like to see implemented for xoops.org.

On xoopsinfo.com (where different registration and user name, is required) that should be up to xoopsinfo.com to decide. For me their forum is a read only output, not a place where I may input my suggestions or ideas. (only team members have access to post)

Therefore, I am not interested in their user agreement. I don't expect to use their site for inputing purposes.

skenow
  • 2007/7/2 18:04

• skenow

• Home away from home

I do realize the etiquette being discussed for change is the one here at XOOPS. Part of this discussion, though, included another code of conduct as an example. Many good ideas do come from other places.

kc0maz
  • 2007/7/2 18:09

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:

skenow wrote:
I do realize the etiquette being discussed for change is the one here at XOOPS. Part of this discussion, though, included another code of conduct as an example. Many good ideas do come from other places.

Along those same lines. Any site that is gong to be an 'official' XOOPS site be it a sub-domain, or another url all together should have similar standards.

I dislike it when I can do this on this site, but not on this one. Both site do the same thing.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

BlueStocking

EDITED: due to post #30
I was wrong in my first accessment of moderators editing for language workarounds. In consideration of their audience I feel it would not only be appropiate but necessary. ...BlueStockings

previous post...

kc0maz
Re: Terms of use and XOOPSiquette review #3
To start the discussion off -
The work arounds for foul language should not be allow at all Here is an example:
Quote:

...With that being said, what the h*ll is going on with xoops? Man I have read countless thread after countless thread of either people b*tching about how things are or now that those people have stepped down, how it should be. ...

I am of the thought that when such is found it should be edited and replaced with '[mod]XXXX[/mod]' indicating a moderator found it and edited it.

A picture is worth a thousand words here.

imgage replaced with link
http://xoops-end-user.com/vhekk.jpg

Editing Vaughan in this case would be undo moderation in my opinion. Even though Vaughan, himself respectfully disagrees with me on this issue.

davidl2
  • 2007/7/2 20:36

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Text can be quoted by use of the tag "QUOTE" - It does not need a 100k or larger image (which could be reduced by altering the compression and file type anyway - example, save as GIF with 16 colours, and it would be under 18k in size).

We are currently running on a low-powered server, because of the year-long site redevelopment plans being delayed... please don't make the page size larger then it needs to be.

Many thanks.

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits