draj
Re: Multisites Module for XOOPS 2.0.10
  • 2005/10/8 8:58

• draj

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/23

Hallo!

I did not understand by your term "True Multisites"!

If the associations earned money, they would loose their status of a non-profit associations, by german law.

I try to support a non-profit organisation and have proposed to build a network for them.

The network shall contain information about their activities and community of about 70 cities. This project is currectly put on ice until the "True Multisites" module/feature comes out!!!

That could also be a star Project for Xoops...

Herko
  • 2005/10/8 9:41

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

deepy wrote:
I did not understand by your term "True Multisites"!
Like I explained: the ability to have as many sites as you want running from a single install of XOOPS, with multiple databases and data sources.
Quote:
If the associations earned money, they would loose their status of a non-profit associations, by german law.
Not so, I know a little of the law surrounding non-proft organisations (at least here in the Netherlands, and due to treaties and EU regulations those laws cannot be far apart): non-profit organisations are not allowed to have as it's primary goal to make money, and to give that money to it's members and/or founders/board. Non-profits are allowed to make money, and lots of it, otherwise they would be unable to do any kind of activity. All money earned must go to the goal of the non-profit org. however.

And don't confuse paid development with the XOOPS Foundation's goals, and with the fact the XOOPS is ree Software.
Paid development is a service, where you require the expertise and energy and creativity of a professional. Why would that be gratis by default? You don't ask your dentist to check your teeth for free, or the plumber or your tax consultant. What makes this any different?
The service of paid development is not one offered by the XOOPS Foundation, the non-profit organisation of the XOOPS project. The community provides those services tho, and companies do too. So you wouldn't be hiring the XOOPS Foundation
And XOOPS is Free software, but that doesn't necessarily mean everything has to be gratis. Free stands for freedom, meaning you are free do do wth the code what you want, as long as you don't restrict anyone else to do exactly the same.

Quote:
I try to support a non-profit organisation and have proposed to build a network for them.
The network shall contain information about their activities and community of about 70 cities. This project is currectly put on ice until the "True Multisites" module/feature comes out!!!

That could also be a star Project for Xoops...

Nice all the more reason to find a developer who is willing to take this project on! And again I say that there must be some kind of reward for this developer. Doesn't have to be money, but something...

I hope this module will get updated soon, so you can get that project started!

Herko

draj
  • 2005/10/8 13:28

• draj

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/23

Hello!

Thanks for your nice explainatory reply. The laws in Germany are certainly different for that matter...

I am once again surprised with your reply. The module from Mithrandir (Jan Pederson) has one installation of XOOPS and one database. Are you guys developing a totally new Architecture of the multisites with multi-databases? That would be a big chaos as the existing would be using only one database for the multisite.

Thats one more reason why the organisation should wait for the multisite module or feauture. You know, anathor most wanted module or feature I consider is Multi-Language module. It is out there but not possible to simply change by the surfer...

I actually found two developers but am waiting for a reply from them to help us out. They are:

Herko and Mitrandir!

Our organisation and about 3000 members shall be really obliged and pleased. I am more then sure that there is no money. If there was, then I would be the first to grab a small bit of it. But I do see that there wont be in the near on far future !

Login

Who's Online

264 user(s) are online (183 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 264

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits