iolai
Re: Libervis.com - your opinions?
  • 2004/9/10 8:59

• iolai

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/26

Yes, looks much much better.

I have the following suggestions:

1. Change the order of your blocks to be articles, news, new posts, recent blogs.
2. Make new posts invisible to anonymous users, and maybe even blogs.
3. Most important, make the opening text shorter, letters bigger. It looks like a big collection of something, I did read it, sounds nice, but I only did it because I know what this site is about and wanted to make sure I read before feedbacking. Too threatening to read at first. You could also divide it to paragraphs - it helps reading.
4. On top, left, you have a cool banner, but the banners on the right don't align well with it, so there is a big white empty space under the left banner.
5. I think it can be solved by removing "Linux banner network. Click here to join" and putting it somewhere else on the page, somewhere down there.
6. I'd make the login box to be only username, password and the login button (IE get rid of lost password and register now links) and use your top navigation bar (with Join the libervis.community here! Login ) to be like:
Register now! | Lost password
(no need for login, you already have it on the right).

That's it

I am not site designer, I am only suggesting what I would do if the site was mine.

I'd like to hear your review of the site I recently created, the link is in my signature. There is a thread about it, so no need to review it here.

Thank you!

libervis
  • 2004/9/10 18:56

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

Thank you guys for reviews and suggestions.. I highly appreciate you putting your time to it.

I will carefully read through the suggestions and implement most if not all of them. I'd say it will probably improve the overall site's experience very much.

Iolai, i bookmarked your site and will give the review as soon as i have time. I can't right now and i will implement those ideas probably tomorrow on libervis and get on to your site. :)

I'll keep you posted on what i did so that you know if i did what you suggested.
Thank you very much people!

Daniel

libervis
  • 2004/9/11 17:34

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

JasonMR wrote:
I would put the center "Recent Forums Posts" at the bottom. This is something that also annoys me about xoops.org. As a regular user, of course I am interested in forum postings, but first...The News! Place it at the bottom of the page.

Try to get that intro even shorter, and post a link to a mission statement, where you elaborate further. Many words used in the intro are just repetition.

And I have to agree with the previous poster, try and reduce the number of blocks. There are a few too many (does the annonymous user have to know who's online, who are the newest members?), try to use blocks more section specific.

Besides that, I enjoyed looking and judging your efforts;) Keep up the good work! (created a new webicon for your site - sent a contact notice via the site; just in casehttp://jason.jayro.net/uploads/libervisWebicon.ico ; just had to do something, after I couldn't make out the existing one)

Hello JasonMR.

I just did changes you suggested and already yesterday put up the webicon you provided. Thank you very much for it.. I actually put that small old one trying to have the whole logo as the webicon, but it just couldn't fit right, so this part of the logo you extracted which is actually a symbol of freedom made not by me, but by Catherine Phelps looks much better.

And, by Quote:
sent a contact notice via the site
do you mean that you used "contact us" form on libervis? If yes, i didn't receieved it and i should look into the matter.

Okay.. further tonight i'll look into implementing additional sugestions by hsalazar and others.

Thank you.
Daniel

libervis
  • 2004/9/12 14:35

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

To hsalazar:

I did some of things you suggested such as made the line height of fonts greater and removing that blue bar.. I didn't quite understood what you meant in the point three of your suggestion. Also, i searched for tiny content download but i can't find the working link or up to date module download. Anyway.. i currently use multimenu and edit those static pages in html editors such as mozilla composer and bluefish. It's not too much of a hassle and it's good for my HTML/PHP experience and learning. And i don't know if that spaw editor in tiny content would work in mozilla and alike browsers that i use (mostly firefox). I heard that it works in IE only, but i'm not sure.
Anyway.. thanks for suggestions.

To Iolai:

I did most of what you suggested. I however still left the register now and lost password links in the login block since i somehow preffer all login related stuff on one place, that is, in that block. I don't think it's a big deal anyway..probably comes down to personal preference. I think it's fine the way it's now. I did however tried to put the login form in the horizontal manner at that bar, but i couldn't make it fit like it should so i quit wasting my time on that.
Besides that, i removed the linux banner network completely since it seems not to work very well for me.. the service looks crappy in the first place.. I don't know if theres any similar free open source software/linux banner exchange service anywhere?

Thank you for your great suggestions. Thanks to you guys the site looks much better than it did in the first place.
Now, i promised to give you Iolai a review for your site. I'll get on to it somewhere today.

Thanks again
Daniel

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits