Herko
Re: Is Xoops falling behind??
  • 2004/8/5 14:51

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

At the risk of sounding a bit like a purist, I'd like to add a comment about module ports here.

One of the reasons that there aren't many module ports around is that when you're working on porting them, often you get the feeling that it will be a lot better when you make it a 'native' XOOPS module, porting the features and not the code. This is -apparently- inherent to the object orientation of the XOOPS code.

So, while I do not think badly of ports (there are some very nice ports out there!), I'd rather see features ported then actual code...

Herko

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 15:01

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

OK that is my next task...

Im going to head to the Barnes n Noble. to pick up a couple of books on PHP....

Hopefully the learning curve will be fast..and I can help out with things in the community....

so to make mopdules all you need is

HTML & PHP knowledge?

anything else I am missing?

Also, when learning PHP? do you need an editor or something? I have Dreamweaver on my PC

will that work?

prof

prof

Mithrandir

HTML & PHP knowledge

A little something on Object Oriented programming would be good, too. It doesn't really matter whether it is Java, PHP or C++ as long as it describes object orientation. There ARE differences in syntax and in what you can and cannot do in OO between Java and PHP, but for the basic understanding of what a class and an object actually is, any OO book will do.

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 15:14

• theprof

• Quite a regular

Yeah I learned a lil on OO in college, not sure how much I retained but we soon will see...

Anonymous
  • 2004/8/5 15:24

• Anonymous

• Since:

MaxDevMambo, and Postnuke 
All three have many more modules 
and features when it comes to the overall CMS

You are right, but do you really need much more modules and features? Possible that I am not thinking of sites you are thinking of ... Please tell me more!

At the moment I like to have an easy to admin and user friendly site "Reduced to the max". What I am searching for is quality not quantity. Modules and features well integrated without hours of work before they are published.

The way the core and module development goes is the reason why I love XOOPS and of course the community.

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 15:40

• theprof

• Quite a regular

Skywalk

this is INDEED THE BEST COMMUNITY period....

you are right about that one....

when I say features I mean modules that webmasters can benefit from with out outsourcing...

currently I have 2 partners...

1 - to power my dating site
2 - to power my job site

They both are GREAT!

I mean I can compete with hotjobs, monster...etc etc. when it come for job boards..and the dating site is nice also, actually made some lil money from it so far...

BUT

I would REALLY like to run my own Job Board, and dating in the near future....

iolai
  • 2004/8/5 16:07

• iolai

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/26

It would help if there was a detailed howto about how to create modules in xoops. I mean, something that after you read it, you can create your own module without a problem.

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 16:10

• theprof

• Quite a regular

Also a HOW TO, to create themes like thishttp://www.gaining-mass.com/
How much do have to pay to get a theme that looks like that?

Herko
  • 2004/8/5 16:23

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

HOWTO's are nice, but they will never be 'How do I make the module/theme I want?' documents, even tho many people expect them to be. Howto's are learning-curve guidelines, and are very valuable as such. I definately agree we should have more of those.

On the other hand, the learning curve isn't that big, once you set your mind to learning. Draven's website is an excellent example of what you can do with customising XOOPS (creating custom blocks, creating a high-end quality theme), all these require some skills in PHP, design, image manipulation and creation.
BAsically, your imagination and willingness to learn are the only limits for creating a new module or a great theme.

Herko

iolai
  • 2004/8/5 16:53

• iolai

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/26

I want to learn how to create modules. Where do I start?

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits