theprof
Re: Will XOOPS suit my needs ?
  • 2004/8/6 0:05

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

ZenTrack, I never heard of that one....I have contact and contact_plus on my site..the contact_plus is excellent....

The newbb, is a great forum I think, even though some may disagree....I think when the new features of the newbb are released it will even make it a better forum. I love it though...

have fun....shouldnt be too hard getting use too..

when I started..I knew NOTHING about PHP...just HTML...

now Im going behind the codes and rendering and everything...its neat....

prof!

jmedodd
  • 2004/8/8 13:46

• jmedodd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/16

Quote:
I do web hosting and domain name reselling

Except for the domain name reselling (which I am still working on) and the short urls (which I'm not too worried about right now), I am using XOOPS for a similar site. It does take a lot of work to get it to do what you want but once get the hang of the layout, code, etc., you can pretty much do anything you want. You really have to have a good idea of what you are wanting to do prior to starting though. At least it helps.

You can visit my site but just know that it is BY FAR not finished.http://walkernetwork.com

You can see how I have used blocks to display my hosting plans, I have used the tiny content duplicatable module to add my content. I was even able to hack a little to make my hosting signup script (WHM AutoPilot) flow with my template. There aren't a lot of hosting templates for XOOPS which is why I am using the current one. You'd be better off creating your own though so that way you don't have the same looking site as someone else like I do now.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. I know I for one am always interested in seeing how people manage to utilize a CMS to fit their needs.

peterr
  • 2004/8/9 1:25

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

Hi,

Quote:

jmedodd wrote:
Except for the domain name reselling (which I am still working on) and the short urls (which I'm not too worried about right now), I am using XOOPS for a similar site. It does take a lot of work to get it to do what you want but once get the hang of the layout, code, etc., you can pretty much do anything you want. You really have to have a good idea of what you are wanting to do prior to starting though. At least it helps.

You can visit my site but just know that it is BY FAR not finished.http://walkernetwork.com

It's nice to know that XOOPS is being used for similar sites. I was playing with Mambo for a little while, but it really was more of a CMS, and I only wanted a few of the features. I like the way there is so much you can simply 'turn off' with XOOPS, and there is still room for custom code,etc.

Well, I like the look of your site, well done. To me, it has a sort of CSS look/feel about it. I see you use 'tinycontent' , and I'm trying to decide whether to use something like that, or look more into using blocks, because I don't want the website to go to ..../modules/news , but point the default to the main (front) page. I just need to see how to get the centre block content to display when this is used:

http://example.com/index.php

Quote:

jmedodd wrote:
You can see how I have used blocks to display my hosting plans, I have used the tiny content duplicatable module to add my content.

For the hosting plans, there is no centre block I see, so it must all be done by using the tinycontent module. Have you used blocks within the tinycontent module, as html, or do you pull the tables/rows to display the hosting plans from the database ? For maintenance purposes, I'd prefer to try and use a db to have the plans,prices,etc, but just not too sure at this stage about how to 'position' the output display within the template.

Quote:

jmedodd wrote:
I was even able to hack a little to make my hosting signup script (WHM AutoPilot) flow with my template. There aren't a lot of hosting templates for XOOPS which is why I am using the current one. You'd be better off creating your own though so that way you don't have the same looking site as someone else like I do now.

I use WHM myself, but haven't heard of AutoPilot. Yes, there aren't a lot of templates that suit hosting, but I just want to get the basic structure and links up, because the site has been in need of a major 'makeover' for well over a year now. :)

Thanks,

Peter

jmedodd
  • 2004/8/9 3:28

• jmedodd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/16

Don't have much time right now but wanted to give you the link to WHMAP. It is a little expensive but SO well worth it.

http://www.whmautopilot.com/

I'll reply back later in regards to your other comments.

peterr
  • 2004/8/9 4:27

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Hi,

Thanks for the info on WHMAP, yes a bit too expensive for me.

Thanks anyway, :)

Peter

peterr
  • 2004/8/9 5:52

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Hi,

Well after hearing of a number of modules that I would need to have content on the main page, I didn't realise how easy it would be to just do it with a block, see:

http://jehoshua.net/index.php

The small 'web hosting' message is just a test, but no modules needed, just used a HTML block, put it in the centre, activated it for annonymous users, and it worked.

This is great, now I know this is the product for me, I'll be able to control any sort of content on the front page _without_ having to use modules, or to have to use:

http://example.com/modules/news

or whatever module the 'front page" (default) is pointed to. This is really good news, XOOPS is even more powerful than I first thought. :)

Thanks,

Peter

Login

Who's Online

245 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 245

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits