m0nty
Re: RegKeys, my first mod install.
  • 2004/6/15 19:03

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i wouldn't bother setting a key for anonymous users.. cos really there's no point..

the registration keys aren't meant to show on the registration screen..

it's simply a process that if u leave the registration key blank when registering the user will be registered as normal to the members group.

if u set registration keys for each group.. ie 1 for moderators if u have a mod group.. you can then send a friend an email giving them the site url and ask them to enter the key in when they register, that person will then automatically register as a moderator when they join saving you having to change their setting.

another use would be if you give lots of people who are recruiting members a different registration key for the members group (create multiple member keys) then each member can give people their key u gave them and every1 who registers with each key, you will know who referred them to the site..

alternatively you can post your links on various sites, and on each site provide a different key.. you can then track which sites referred the people by checking what key they used..

--------------------------
on a side note: the reason this is more harder to install than other modules is, that it really isn't a module.. it's more a hack for XOOPS and not a seperate module..

modules require no over writing of XOOPS files with the exception of a few.. mainly ipb, phpbb and 4images..

tsrrmc
  • 2004/6/15 21:53

• tsrrmc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/11

I guess I misunderstood. I was thinking that the keys would appear randomly like those that are for preventing bots from mass registering. Apparently, I read into the description what I wanted to see instead of what was actually there.

Is there a mod that generates a randomly produced "key" graphic for the purpose I described above? I know that php can create graphics to some extent, yes?

Anyhow, it appears to be working now. It just figures that I would choose one of the more difficult mods right off the bat!

BTW, in going through all this, I discovered some other stupid errors I had made, and just started over from reinstalling xoops. It went like a charm this time.

Thanks very much again.

m0nty
  • 2004/6/15 22:19

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i haven't seen a hack that does that for XOOPS registration.

i use the ipbm forum for XOOPS and use that modules registration, as that allows u to customise with more ease than xoops, and it has that feature..

IPBM is a fully featured forum based converted from the invisionboard.

i may have a look at that registration section and maybe able to integrate just the bot protection system from that into xoops. if you're prepared to wait.. I'm not a programmer so it maybe to difficult for me to do that..

tsrrmc
  • 2004/6/15 22:51

• tsrrmc

• Just popping in

I like IPB. Where can I get that mod?

I searched the download database here, but did not find it.

tsrrmc
  • 2004/6/15 22:59

• tsrrmc

• Just popping in

Never mind. I found it Here. Thanks for the suggestion.

tsrrmc
  • 2004/6/16 1:14

• tsrrmc

• Just popping in

Well, regkeys works except that I still can't modify or delete the keys once created.

Jeeeeeez! Now what?! I suppose I could find them in the database and change 'em manually.

tetsuo
  • 2004/6/18 17:37

• tetsuo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/4 1

Same problem here, can't delete or modify keys... Well using phpmyadmin does the trick :)

Login

Who's Online

236 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 236

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits