johncox
Re: Xaraya = Xoops history is over ?
  • 2004/4/3 0:02

• johncox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/2 2

Hi there, saw the discussion in xaraya.com's referers.

First off, we are very proud of Xaraya as we are finally reaching our goals of building a better mouse trap. We are not in competition with Xoops, nor any other product out there. All we want to do is build an application framework / content management system that can stand on its own against the best in class in multiple markets, to just say that we accomplished something great.

I am sure that I speak for multiple developers (if not all) on our project when I say that we both admire the dedication and the community that the developers at XOOPS have built. We have absolutely no desire to dimish any of the accomplishments (which have been many) of the folks over here.

Xaraya is very flexible, and provides a very nice API for speedy development. With that flexibility also garners a learning curve to fully utilize Xaraya to its maximum potential. It can be easy for some to use, and it might not be for others. I can't really say one way or another as any reference from me would be completely biased.

All that said, I do take offense to someone going through our demo and finding an error on a module that has not been developed in quite some time, and stating that that is a reflection of our work. It is very petty, and is completely against the spirit of cooperation that should exists from any user of Open Source software, much less developer. I could just as easily spend the time that I am here looking for a bug in the XOOPS codebase and posting a finding here or elsewhere. However, that would not be very accurate, and it would be insulting to the folks that have poured countless hours getting your websites going from this camp.

Should anyone find a bug in Xaraya, do the right thing and report it in our bug tracker. Do bugs exists in Xaraya? Certainly. We do our best to correct them when found. We also do our best to support Xaraya in a variety of manners. We do this for free, and we will continue to do so, just as the XOOPS team does here. To go out of your way to find some helps us improve, however, please do report them in the proper channels rather than dismissing our work.

Thanks for the understanding!

Chainsaw
  • 2004/4/3 0:04

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/9/28

To be honest, I left PostNuke after their infighting. I followed Xaraya for a while but lost interest because it was still in beta.

Furthermore I had lots of problems running PostNuke at my office - I couldn't get what I wanted so in the end I used a PERL CMS called Coranto. Coranto is stable and easy to use but do not have as many modules as XOOPS.

I then went searching for various CMS and finally settling for XOOPS because it is the easiest to install, the developers are the most friendliest of all the CMS forums I have visited, and nearly every modules I require are here (with the exception of IRM helpdesk).

So in simple terms, no - I don't think Xaraya will replace XOOPS. There is a simple rule I work by as an IT Manager - if it ain't broken don't apply the patch. If XOOPS is working for me I see no need to switch over. In fact I am so impressed with XOOPS that I am looking at replacing my company internet site with XOOPS (I'm currently using XOOPS as an intranet system).

davidl2
  • 2004/4/3 0:10

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I've used Coranto also quite a few times.

I definately preffer XOOPS :)

Good luck to the Xaraya people, although I'm not changing to another system myself... perhaps it is another option for people not happy with the P-Nukes?

Chainsaw
  • 2004/4/3 0:12

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

Oh gidday John, nice to see you dropping by at this forum.

I'm sure the few who made a few comments about some errors on your demo site do not really intend it to belittle your project.

I'm pretty sure I've read in one of the forum thread last year that it is generally a rule in the XOOPS forum not to nit-pick on other CMS bugs.

Anyway - you want to see what happen to XOOPS when we switch our php or smarty debug on?

johncox
  • 2004/4/3 0:32

• johncox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/2 2

Quote:

Chainsaw wrote:

I'm sure the few who made a few comments about some errors on your demo site do not really intend it to belittle your project.

I didn't quite see it that way with the use of emotioncons;) But maybe that is just me.

Anyways, I will be moving on. Enjoy all!

jurgis
  • 2004/4/3 1:05

• jurgis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/20

Quote:
>Any more, you guys would recommend?

*http://e107.org - usualy works well - and has enough ready to work features
*http://tikiwiki.org - was once the project of the month @sf, meets many standarts, diversity of modules.
*http://www.ez.no/ probably has power, similar to typo..

Google PageRank is a good popularity criteria ;( (if You have google-bar on IE - you can see it for each page)

ps.:
probably what we call CMS are PS :)
actually mambo is paying more attention to keeping up to CMS description, as I know.
pps.:
* in my first post when saying "all profs .." I meant "most of profs..) :)
* and I am still interested what/when could be the capabilities of collaboration between CMS's? . (ups, PS's )
Diversity is OK. but reinventing bycicle or doing the_same_ thing by several groups is not efficient.

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/3 5:01

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

In the end, no matter what CMS is used, it boils down to the webmaster and presentation of the site. I have seen many a site built with (insert CMS here) and they all have the same 3 column, too much information on the front page look. I'm not harping on webmasters, but what I'm saying is that when many sites are done like this, there is no dicernable way to tell what CMS was used where because of block usage, etc.

{if}<{worth more then a penny}>
echo 0.2
{else} <{give no change}>
{/if}

Chainsaw
  • 2004/4/3 8:57

• Chainsaw

• Quite a regular

I agree with him. We should really do a site of the month award at XOOPS for top design, best originality, best graphics etc etc. Winner get an special XOOPERS avatar for their signature (hehehe)

Now that's a super idea if I may say so myself. We could call it the XOOPS Idol contest. Who wants to be Simon?

davidl2
  • 2004/4/3 9:01

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Sounds like a plan (not so sure of the name tho! :))

Mithrandir

@Johncox:
Thank you for replying here.

I am sorry that you felt a negative atmosphere towards Xaraya here - Knowing a little of the posters, I wouldn't think it was their intention more than it was a quick reflection that as you say bugs exist also in Xaraya, so it isn't perfect - just like XOOPS isn't.

I have installed Xaraya beta 0.9.9 on my local server for a bit of testing and it does look ok, although I have to dig deeper to make a proper evaluation apart from "hmmmm.. that's not how it works in XOOPS"

When that is said and done, I think it is wrong to say that XOOPS and Xaraya are not competitors. However, it doesn't have to be a very bad thing. XOOPS and Xaraya works in the same area - PHP CMS's - and as such they must be competitors, but we don't have to make it a negative competition with bloating own advantages and neglecting disadvantages
I will look at Xaraya and see if there is something, we can use - in our own way - in XOOPS and hope that XOOPS has aspects, which are of interest to Xaraya.

Thank you for your participation

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits