Mamba
The need to keep XOOPS module development in one location
  • 2013/5/12 5:06

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

from this thread:

Quote:
THe last update in SVN was January and there were a lot of post in Feb/March.

So where is the most recent debugged version?

This is unfortunately a result of developers developing modules outside of XOOPS SVN

This is not helping XOOPS, because:

- people don't see any changes, unless news is published here

- visitors to our SVN, if they don't see the development happening right here, will think that the module is dead.

- XOOPS users don't have the time to subscribe and check every SVN for every module. This is not every efficient.

I really hope that more and more developers will move their development to XOOPS SVN or XOOPS Git (if they prefer Git), so we have all in one location
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

irmtfan
Re: The need to keep XOOPS module development in one location
  • 2013/5/12 5:52

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

+100,
As always, I hope all xoops developers could work together in one place.
Also please dont work on your modules in local and commit any pre-alpha (not working) versions of modules to SVN.

zyspec
  • 2013/5/12 22:06

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

@irmtfan,

Your comments seem to contradict each other. You'd like to see everything committed to SVN but you don't want pre-alpha, alpha, etc. code in SVN? I guess I don't understand.

Wouldn't it be preferred to have ALL code developed in SVN (or Git) and just make sure that any "non-production" code is not committed to the trunk but instead put into a branch? Any 'release' should be tagged (in releases) and only at the point the code becomes "FINAL" should it be committed back to the trunk.

Just my thoughts...

ps. I know I'm 'guilty' of working on a local copy and not committing it to SVN until it's more stable - I've had issues in the past where things were committed to "my" branch from other developers while I was in the middle of making edits, cost me a fair amount of time/effort to back out the changes. Kind of an excuse, I know, so I'll try and do a better job of committing my work "earlier" in the development cycle to my own branch(es).

irmtfan
  • 2013/5/13 2:32

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

@zyspec:
Sorry you misunderstood me. my bad english

I meant instead of working on modules in local, it is better to have all developers codes in SVN even their pre-alpha and not working versions.

Also you well mentioned the right place in SVN:
Branch: for any code from anybody regarding a module
trunk: most recent version of the module by merging all branches
release: only final codes after review

Our times are limited so IMO it is better to share any code with others.

zyspec
  • 2013/5/13 13:24

• zyspec

• Module Developer

@irmtfan,

Ok, I understand. By the way your English is very good - much better than my Farsi!

فارسی من بد است

jlm69
  • 2013/5/14 10:26

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

I think you all are forgetting something.
A long time ago there used to be a module development section of Xoops, I had all my development going on in there and one day it got hacked. All work was gone. Had to start all over. Many developers were very upset, we probably lost some developers because of it. Ever since then I do all my development on my own servers, and will always do it that way.
To be honest with you I hate sourceforge and svn, you can't beat clicking on a link and getting the download, no need to have special software, plus know the right svn address to get the files you need.

Just my thoughts,

John

Peekay
  • 2013/5/14 13:47

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

jlm69 wrote:

...To be honest with you I hate sourceforge and svn, you can't beat clicking on a link and getting the download, no need to have special software...

I agree that dev.xoops.org was easier. Anyone who could click a link and make a forum post could be involved in the bug-fixing process.

I imagine SVN is great when programmers collaborate on a project like Xoops core, but it is ordinary Xoops users who often spot errors. I would imagine SVN dissuades many people from obtaining the module BETAs in the first place.

zyspec
  • 2013/5/14 14:36

• zyspec

• Module Developer

@jlm69,

I understand, I too lost a lot in that dev.xoops.org fiasco...

I agree that any release should not require a XOOPS user to have to go to SVN. I believe the purpose of the XOOPS Module Repository on xoops.org should be to provide anything that a normal XOOPS 'user' would need. SVN/Git should only be for those that want/need to edit modules/themes/etc... - not for normal usage.

I also understand the desire to have the source 'local' for various reasons but we've lost a lot of modules, and history, when some developers left the community and the latest module/source couldn't be found anywhere.

Seems to me there needs to be a middle ground somewhere that's more flexible.

Maybe something like:

Community Supported Modules (official = 1)
================================
  • Developers must place the code in the XOOPS SVN/Git (currently sourceforge) before it is tagged for release.

• A zip/tar of all Final releases and the latest RC release of a module should be required to be in the XOOPS Module Repository on xoops.org

• 3rd Party Developer Modules
    =====================
  • Developers are encouraged to place their module source code on XOOPS SVN/Git - however it's not an 'enforceable' requirement.

• A copy of the .zip/.tar should be put into the XOOPS Module Repository on xoops.org. The news release on xoops.org can link to the developer's site for support, download, etc. if desired. The download link in the news release should be replaced by a link to the file in XOOPS Repository on xoops.org as soon as the file has been placed there. This will hopefully reduce the number of 'dead' links in the repository. It would also be recommended that the .zip/.tar file be placed in a "3rd Party Module Release" directory on sourceforge in the event a module is abandoned or something corrupts the Module Repository copy.

• @Peekay

I agree, we need a way for 'normal' XOOPS users (admins) to be able to report bugs, request features, etc. without them having a sourceforge account. We (XOOPS developers) need a repository / bug tracker that has an API so we can write a module that will allow the community to submit requests (either bug fixes or feature requests) instead of using forums. Forums are too difficult to sift through to be efficient from a developer's point of view.

Just my thoughts...

Mamba
    • 2013/5/14 14:51

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Zyspec, well said!
    +1

Regarding lost files on dev.xoops.org: my understanding was that the source code files were stored on SourceForge CVS, so they should be still there, and nothing should be lost. Am I missing something?
    Support XOOPS => DONATE
    Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

irmtfan
    • 2013/5/15 1:53

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

Quote:

A long time ago there used to be a module development section of Xoops, I had all my development going on in there and one day it got hacked.

As others mentioned, that was dev.xoops.org a subdomain of xoops.org
    but sf.net is totally secure and reliable more than any personal server or hosting.
    Quote:

you can't beat clicking on a link and getting the download,

I agree. that is a big disadvantage. but it is better than having outside repositories and personal SVN.
    sf.net should add this feature soon.
    meanwhile you can use the Git.
    The main goal is finding a way to not lose any single work from any developer.

Login

Who's Online

159 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 159

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
    Goal: $100.00
    Due Date: Mar 31
    Gross Amount: $0.00
    Net Balance: $0.00
    Left to go: $100.00
    Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits