• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Here's a look at what the newBB beta looks like at the moment

http://testsite.xoops2.org/modules/newbb/

DonXoop
Re: Urgent Feature Request - will make Xoops 100Xs better

ChadK you're on the warpath today.

With many of the community sites being focused on the forums we really do need a top notch module. But I'm happy that XOOPS has gone the "reinvent the wheel" route. Takes longer to get all the features in but we avoid the gotchas and uncertainties of 3rd party integration. Resusable code for other core functions might be lost and sites that use them will then be upset.

My own site is heavy on the forums too but I hesitate using a different module and later dealing with migration to/from issues as well as other potential hazards.

I did some minor tweaks to keep the users happy until it all gets better. it will come.

ChadK
  • 2004/7/22 17:58

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/9 1

Yah, I know. ;) I'll calm down a bit now that I found newbbPro and installed it. Though it still doesn't have a "show new topics" feature. Seems it would be easy to do especially since there's already a recent topics block. Couldn't someone make a page that only displays a copy of the recent topics block?

DonXoop

Quote:
ChadK wrote:
Couldn't someone make a page that only displays a copy of the recent topics block?

Sure, I took a module that sucked and emptied it out and then used it to put the RecentTopics block in it. I made it long and full detail. The most popular page on my site.

ChadK
  • 2004/7/22 19:14

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

Cool Don, any chance I can get a copy of that?

DonXoop

Somewhere on this site was a helpme for creating a blank module. I used what was supposed to be "Lastposts". it was old and ugly so I emptied it and only have the xoops_version.php file and any old graphic:

xoops_version.php:
<?php
$modversion['name'] = "Last Posts";
$modversion['version'] = 1;
$modversion['description'] = "Hacked up lastposts";
$modversion['author'] = "me";
$modversion['credits'] = "me";
$modversion['help'] = "";
$modversion['license'] = "GPL see LICENSE";
$modversion['official'] = 0;
$modversion['image'] = "last_slogo.jpg";
$modversion['dirname'] = "lastposts";

// Menu
$modversion['hasMain'] = 1;
?>

I now have a blank module to place blocks in. I also made a clone of the newbb RecentTopic block so I could have one set long in centre and another for a quick left side list elsewhere. Some small hacks to the blocks and newbb are keeping them happy for now.

theprof
  • 2004/7/22 19:51

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

Am I the only that is pleased with the FORUMS? actually. I think the newbb..is the BEST forum I have seen period...All my members love it. and they never complain about it. The fact you said it is hard to find and keep up with post....HOW SO? there are notifications in PMS and EMAILS....there are BLOCKS where you can put in to show RECENT, MOST ACTIVE..etc.etc. forums...I just dont understand...I have seen the Invision boards..and honestly I think they are rather corny...compared to newbb.....

Maybe if you add the right components to the newbb things will not be such way...

ChadK
  • 2004/7/22 22:11

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

hmm perhaps.
Though adding the recent posts block onto it's own page will help quite a bit. Currently I show the 10 most recent but many times there are more than 10. And I don't want people to have to subscribe to the whole forum to know what's new and what isn't.. :)

theprof
  • 2004/7/22 22:23

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

Yeah, I feel you on that. I just went to another invision board, I really dont like the set up for some reason. I do like the PM option straight from a post though.....but thats about all....we will see what the newbb2 offers though...

DonXoop

Hopefully Chad had a look at my dedicated RecentPosts page. I made a clone of the RecentPosts block and placed it on a page with a length of 40+ recent posts. By far the most popular page on my site. Once they are in the Forums or a message I have the regular RecentPosts block as a narrow quickie left side block and they can quickly navigate since they already saw the details version in the dedicated page.

It isn't an unread posts option but close enough for now.

Login

Who's Online

159 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 159

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits