Panos
Re: Theme width problem
  • 2004/7/16 2:31

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

Don't take me wrong tj. I didn't mean anything bad by using the word "dirty" there I was simply referring to the fact that this is the only way of solving this issue unfortunately and there is no better one.

I very much like your theme! I just visited your site and I have to say that you are doing a great job XOOPS is very flexible in the sense that the designer may completely customize its looks and tailor it down to his/her needs

As far as tables are concerned, I am aware of the fact that a number of people still use 4.x browsers unfortunately. At least with XOOPS we can minimize the markup and use CSS for the layout. Thank God for that

tjnemez
  • 2004/7/16 2:35

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

thanks panos, i am a beginner at this but i am learning as i go. i am presently working on a few new themes, but my real job is getting in the way.

tjnemez
  • 2004/7/16 2:43

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

bassman i would still define select in any theme in order to make it consistent with theme text size. it does give you a little more control over layout.

Panos
  • 2004/7/16 2:44

• Panos

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/20

Well, you are doing excellent for a beginner, I can tell you that! It's not an easy task creating a liquid layout for XOOPS as a lot of template editing is involved. *Sigh*. Of course, tabular data should be displayed as tabular data always. This is what tables were created for in the first place

As far as the real job goes, I feel you My studies and my work also get in the way. A lot

Bassman
  • 2004/7/16 2:49

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

I think I will tj, that was a new one for me. The only problem I have is, I wanted to release the theme to the public. Oh well, I guess I can make a non-fixed version for release.

BTW, if you're only a "beginner" and can do themes like yours, there's hope for me yet!

synistar
  • 2004/7/19 18:20

• synistar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/19

This is a typical problem. I converted my site to all CSS and it has a similar issue with some of the forms. Unfortunately the form system used in XOOPS does not lend itself to templating well (at least from what I could tell reading the source). I saw that they will be changing it in the future though.

One thing you can try is shrinking the font like some others have said. Another (ugly option) is to use the CSS overflow property to force a scroll bar. Here is some sample code to play with:

<form action="#">
<div style="width: 10em; border: 2px solid #ccc; overflow: scroll;" >
Use scroll bar to see entire option:
<select />
<option>123456789012345678901234567890</option>
</select>
</div>
</form>

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits