Dave_L
Re: Chess module - needs beta testing
  • 2004/7/14 13:02

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

What's a good idea?

The module uses the normal XOOPS language files for all displayed text.

Mithrandir

Amazed at how well this works, just played a game against myself... and lost

a) Situations when one player is checked, there is a simple + added to the move - not all too apparent

b) I went to promote a peon and a window popped up with a height at about 3mm... I couldn't read anything in there and I couldn't resize the window. I closed it and tried again, clicking at different places and suddenly I had a queen, which was quite ok

Good work

Dave_L
  • 2004/7/14 13:48

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

Mithrandir:

Thanks

a) Maybe I could display a message when a player is checked. By strict interpretation of the rules, though: "Declaring a check is not obligatory." (FIDE Laws of Chess, article 3.8b).

b) Hmmmm ... I haven't seen that problem. But that popup window was tricky to implement, and could have a bug I missed. It uses a Smarty template (chess_game_promote_popup.html), which is compiled via XoopsTpl::fetch and assigned to a Smarty variable (in game.php), and then the window is opened via Javascript in another template (chess_game_board.html):

window.open('''pawn_promotion''width=180,height=36,left=300,top=300');

Then the piece selected within the window gets passed back via Javascript.

What O/S, browser and screen resolution are you using?

Mithrandir

Windows XP, Mozilla 1.6, 1280x1024

Dave_L
  • 2004/7/14 20:42

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

That's similar to what I'm using: Win2000, Mozilla Firefox 0.9.2, 1280x1024.

Can anyone else duplicate this problem (unreadably small pawn promotion popup)?

Note that the popup window can be generated at any time, as long as it's your move and you have Javascript enabled, by clicking on any one of your pawns, and then clicking on any square in the first rank or eighth rank that's empty or contains an enemy piece. The pawn need not be in the seventh rank, and the destination square doesn't have to be reachable. The legality of the move isn't checked until you click the Submit button.

theprof
  • 2004/7/14 21:02

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

WOW...Dave we have a winner..Im playing right now as we speak with one of my users..it works like a charm..funny thing is IM JUST LEARNING HOW TO PLAY.. *smile*....Just one issue I had..in the comments section...I love that part..BUT the comments are showing up on FRONT PAGE also? I just want the comments in the game itself..Is there a way I can execute this?

Dave_L
  • 2004/7/14 21:16

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

theprof:

Thanks

Comments on the front page? Do you have the Recent Comments blocks enabled for that page? If so, that would explain it, and the Chess module has no control over that. If not, could you provide a URL to a page, or to a screenshot, that illustrates this?

theprof
  • 2004/7/14 21:33

• theprof

• Quite a regular

http://www.problacks.com check that out....the chess comments are showing up in a part i really do no want it to show.....

Dave_L
  • 2004/7/14 21:40

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

That looks like the Recent Comments block. The only way to prevent Chess module comments from showing up there is to 1) turn off that block, 2) disable comments for the Chess module, or 3) hack the code that generates that block so that it excludes Chess module comments.

----
edit

It looks like you could also 4) edit the template for the Recent Comments block, and add a conditional statement to exclude Chess module comments.

theprof
  • 2004/7/14 21:48

• theprof

• Quite a regular

Ok,

that comment section is a big part of my Home page....so getting rid off that is not an option...hmmmm...I love the fact you can talk back and forth, when playing a game...so I would like to keep the comments on....the last..HACK....ok....what are the ins and outs of hacking the module..bads and goods? and how easy is it to execute?

Login

Who's Online

159 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 159

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits