MrPotatoes
My Giant List of questions :)
  • 2004/7/13 20:48

• MrPotatoes

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/13

i have this website that i'm not too happy with. i'm sick of making a static website where if i weant to change the site look i have to upload the whole site via dreamweaver. don't get me wrong i LOVE dreamweaver but they have no CMS is worth using whatsoever.

my main reason for using XOOPS is the wbloggar. i absolutly abhor having to do anything via the web browser. HATE IT. so it's currently between XOOPS, Drupal or using Wordpress and customizing my own WBloggar style ftp client and learn php. which i should do anyway ;)

i'm wondering if i can do this with XOOPS.

//----------------------------------------------|
the look

i want to change my current website to a dynamic website http://mr-potatoes.com/news.html (warning some content not family or work friendly). i like the current layout but there is more that iw ant to add to it. mostly the theme of it. i like live journal's theme engine or whatever it's called. i'm pretty sure it's all CSS. where i can have a complex image bordering the table and the table itself will lenghthen if i type a certain amount.

i have the links on the left side of all the web pages which isn't too big of a deal. i've ssen it be done on many a blog style site. but can i keep it the way that i have i going as is?

and instead of a archive links on all the pages how about in one certain page? will i be able to hack that and be able to do a certain type of archiving. i'm not a fan of a monthly or weekly basis of auto archiving. i prefer it to archive in a certain fashion and wouldn't mind figuring out how to do this. i am a C++ programmer and i don't think it'll take me too long to figure it out :)

content creation

i want my site to look the same. Just as it is now i want my site to be of the same look. but i also want to be able to change the look Dynamically w/o having to do alot of fuss. i don't want to have to upload a full site i would just like to be able to change the theme and it will change on the fly (wordpress is like this, i figured most CMSs are similar). hell maybe even later on people will be able to do so via a click. that would be cute.

mostly the biggest thing would be a static looking website with little to no fuss preferably. i think there is a page hack somewhere on this site and figured it would be something like this. i have alot of articles in mind but it's a PITA to have to add a new page every time. even if it is only a small article. but a full on new pagfe would be awesome and is mostly what i'm looking for.

a small blog in another section of my site would be great. i dont take that as seriously as my articles but i would like to be able to have a different style for that AND the rest of the site (article based or gallery or downloads) look similar. basically what i wanted to do was make the whole site fit into that familar format. 2 rows of columns on the left, the large column on the right and a banner that spans the length of it all on the top. plus it's always centered. then all the content will fit into the middle column. blog, gallery, downloads, articles and news section. the content wil be the only thing that changes. but i have all that cool stuf stuffed into that format with only the content changing. and all in one website. if at all possible. i don't care about how difficult. because that is the least of my problems.

so let me make that a bit more clear. i know i rambled a bit there.

-> the way that i have my articles set up i want to keep it that way. new page for each article. comments on the bottom if user so wants to see it.
-> blog on a seperate area / page. but that will post just like i have it so far. in a table (i'll prolly change the look of it).
-> dynamic look. changes when i change the theme. no uploading nessesary. thats annoying
-> everything fits into the correct area for the content. nothing else changes. i'm very minimalistic even if it takes more work to do so. more than happy to work it out that way

Basic N00B Question

what is CSV?

Authors
can i have multiple authors? yes? no?

please take the time to read my questions. if you don't know what i'm asking you can check out my site to see what i'm talking about. yes. i'm very picky but of course i know what i want out of my site :). i just cannot go ahead and work with just dreamweaver anymore. i thank any and ALL that answer my questions. i know i have alot but i think anyone that ventures out to answer them. maybe i can help you out int he future.

Login

Who's Online

488 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 488

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits