ChadK
Moderation of other modules?
  • 2004/7/10 20:30

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/9 1

I want to set up a "Moderator" group and give them admin rights to certain modules like classifieds, faq, photo albums and so on. I've set up a group with the access and assigned the users to that group but it doesn't seem to do anything. The site still reports that they don't have access to that area and none of the "EDIT" links show up in any of the modules like they do for a site admin. I would rather not set them to site admin if I don't have to..

Dave_L
Re: Moderation of other modules?
  • 2004/7/10 22:28

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Could you give an example of the exact steps you performed? Just use one module as an example. Maybe you missed something.

Another possibility is that one or more of the modules is not checking the admin rights properly, but that shuldn't affect being able to access the modules' admin page from the control panel.

ChadK
  • 2004/7/12 13:56

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

I went to the admin section and created a Moderators group.
In that group I gave access to everything I wanted moderators to be able to admin. Most of the moderation blocks and a couple of the admin blocks.

Then I assigned a couple of users to the group but it didn't seem to do anything.

I've also noticed that if I assign a user to the WEBMASTER group it still doesn't seem to let them in the admin area. I have to open the user's account and set their title to Webmaster.

Is the groups on the user's account linked to the access provided by that group or is that just for displaying the user's TITLE? That's a bit confusing for me.

I finally just made them both full site admins and told them not to screw with stuff they didn't understand. Though I'd rather just give them specific portions to mess with.

Bender
  • 2004/7/12 16:31

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

If confusion is already up make sure you use the right words

What do you mean by 'Title'? Are you refering to rank?

If so then that has nothing to do with group rights. Rank is just that and has no influence to any access controls.

After assigning group membership: Did you logout that user and login again?

DonXoop

Using Groups rights for the same thing as mentioned works for me. Some things to try are to go into each core group and hit Update. Sometimes this shakes up problems in the Admin area.

Remember that in a new Group you don't have to check off everything, just the areas that aren't already included in other groups that user is also a member of (like "registered users"). This will save you lots of work later on. In my case I have blocks that I only want anonymous to see and I don't want to uncheck a million lines in other groups to do it.

If you give Admin rights for a select group of modules to a group then those users should see the Administration link in their User menu.

Also, list all versions being used if you still have trouble.

ChadK
  • 2004/7/12 17:41

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

I'll try messing with it again later.. logging the user off and then back on to see if it works. - I hadn't logged them off before so that might be part of it.
I'll also note each step I take exactly to give a better reply.

Login

Who's Online

111 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 111

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits