vinit
A complex issue with News Section - Permissions causing problem
  • 2004/6/19 13:21

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

Hi,

I am using news module as my default home page, i dont want to show the "News" link in the for anonymous user, though by default he his on news module. But once a registered user logs in he should be able to see the news module, along with fuction submit and archive.

in order to hide the "news" link from menu if i remove module access to anonymous then he cannot see the home page, and if from admin -> module section i set the visiblity of News module to 0 then the registered users is unable to post the news. How to overcome this issue. This bug/issue is can be replicated at XOOPS.org to, where both home and news link to same and the anonymous user sees the link submit news and on clicking it gets the error that he cannot sumbit.

It there anyway out of this. I dont think so, otherwise it would have been implemented at this site too... still hoping some solution.

Mithrandir
Re: A complex issue with News Section - Permissions causing problem

You cannot give access to anonymous to news module and deny access to anonymous to the news module at the same time, which is effectively what you are trying to do with the start page/news module.

What you CAN do in News 1.2 is to remove view permissions to news topics, you don't want anonymous users to view and set no submit permissions to anonymous users. Then in news module preferences, you can enable "Restrict topics on front page" so only news from topics, the user can view, are displayed.

Then the anonymous users will not see the submit news link, but will still have the news link in the main menu. The home link always points to the start page, that is not a bug - nothing much to do about it apart from editing the template for the main menu and remove the home link and then rename the News module in module admin to "Home" and order it to be at the top of the list. Then you will have a link called "Home" with sublinks archive (to all with access) and submit news (to users with submit and/or approve permissions)

vinit
  • 2004/6/19 14:14

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

Great,

Mithrandir, i always knew that you will the right person to get answer from. Well isnt News 1.2 Part of XOOPS 2.06. If not then whats the process of upgrading the news module.

Thx
Vinit

Mithrandir

News 1.2 is not part of the standard XOOPS packages (yet).

The upgrade procedure is as follows:
UPGRADING INSTRUCTIONS:

In order to upgrade from an existing News module
1) Upload all files in this package, overwriting the existing files.
2) Update the module in system admin -> modules
3) Go to e.g. news topics manager in news module administration
4) Click "Upgrade" if applicable - if it does not show, manually insert the SQL query found in sql/upgrade.sql WITH db prefix
5) CHMOD your modules/news/images/topics folder to be writable by the server
6) Check the changelog.txt for a list of changes in this module

Report bugs on the News Trackers on http://dev.xoops.org
(Direct link: http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/tracker/?group_id=1008)

If you are running XOOPS pre-2.0.7 you will also need the Group Permissions Fix

vinit
  • 2004/6/19 14:55

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

Thanks Mithrandir,

Trying it out, will msg here again if stucked into some problem.

other thing is that i dont see any link called home in the main menu template nor the News, looks like this comes from db, so what change do i need to do ????

here is what i see in main menu template, guide me for which line needs to be modified...

vinit
  • 2004/6/19 17:24

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

:( everyting went smoothly, new module got upgraded, but i am not able to see news on the News page, if i click on archives i can see those news. Looks like i have messed up some configs

"Restrict topics on front page" is set to no

Can you tell me what could have gone bad ??? or what do i need to setup

Mithrandir

<{$block.lang_home}> <-- remove this

In regards to your problem with news not showing, this is a known issue in regards to cached/compiled templates.

Try this:
For some reason there are sometimes problems with getting
the news items to show on the front page.

Try this:
1) Disable any cache in the news module
2) Make sure you are not using a template set other than default
3) Update the module (again)
4) Clear the templates_c folder for any news-related
templates (or all files except index.html)
5) Update the module again

The problem is caused by XOOPS using the previous template for some reason and the only cure, I've found is to remove files in the templates_c folder, making sure that you are using the default template set and updating the module. Sometimes this has to be done several times.

vinit
  • 2004/6/20 2:39

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

oh, I am using x2t template set, this is bad that a module is sticked to a given set of template. My first reaction was to remove all the cache in relate to News, but never thought that even the template could be an issue.

Anyway till the time NEWS module is not perfect, i think i wont be able to use it wit x2t set of temlates. When can we expect of have this bug resolved.

vinit
  • 2004/6/20 2:45

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

ok moved to default template set for testing, one more issue with it, the image associated with topic doesnt come up for some reason ???

which use to be there in 1.1 version.... Some fix or tweakings that i need to do ???

vinit
  • 2004/7/10 18:36

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
) Make sure you are not using a template set other than default

Is News Module is fixed, so that templates other than default can be used. I am using x2, so still waiting for the news 1.2 to get integrated.

Can someone update me in this regard.

Login

Who's Online

806 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 806

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits